In American football
and Canadian football
, defensive backs
are the players on the defensive team who take positions somewhat back from the line of scrimmage; they are distinguished from the defensive line
players, who take positions directly behind the line of scrimmage.
The defensive backs, in turn, generally are classified into several different specialized positions:
- Cornerback, which include
- nickel back, the fifth defensive back in some sets
- dime back, the sixth defensive back in some sets
- The seventh defensive back, in the exceedingly rare 'dollar' set
- known as a dollar back or a quarter back (not to be confused with the offensive player who throws the ball)
The group of defensive backs is known collectively as the secondary.