It is now home to a hotel, conference centre, and restaurant complex known as 'Q Station', and remains part of the Sydney Harbour National Park. The Quarantine Station is supposedly haunted by the ghosts of former staff and patients, with many paranormal occurrences reported throughout the site.
One of the early Quarantine Officers was Dr James Stuart a keen naturalist and talented painter.
In the 1960s and 70s, the then Officer in charge of the Quaratine Station, Herb Lavaring BEM (1917-1998), took it upon himself to preserve and compile a museum of artifacts and other range of items of note and significance to the station's operations (3), including domestic implements, medical instruments, and a diverse range of hand tools for tasks ranging from blacksmithing to building construction. All major materials from the site were collected over the period 1963-1975 by Mr Lavaring (3). He also commenced restoration work on the diverse range of rock carvings and headstones from the major burial grounds and ensured that all of the items from the facility were preserved. Many have since found their way into State and Federal collections (3) including the National Museum in Canberra where a muzzle loading rifle and a set of manacles are preserved, the latter being used to ensure that no one left the station without medical clearance.
3. Quarantine : Counting the Costs, Health, Journal of the Australian Department of Health, Volume 25, Number 1, March 1975, pages 31-35.