Burnham-on-Sea railway station at Burnham-on-Sea was the terminus of the Burnham branch of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway. Opened as Burnham by the Somerset Central Railway on 3 May 1858, it was renamed in 1920.
The station, situated behind Abingdon Road, was a terminus although a through platform allowed services to travel on to a 900ft pier on the river. For a few years the railway operated steamers across the Bristol Channel to Wales. Railway operations onto the pier ceased in 1888 although the pier continued in use for vessels until the 1950s. Perhaps the strangest use of the railway along the pier was by lifeboat, which was pushed on rails from the old lifeboat house (behind the current Somerfield store) and onto the "main line", across the esplanade, and down the pier where the lifeboat could be launched if the tide was right
Burnham-on-Sea closed when passenger services were curtailed at Highbridge on the 28 October 1951. Excursion traffic continued until 1962, and the goods depot remained open until 1958. The former GWR station is now known as Highbridge and Burnham.
The site is now occupied by a playschool, the new RNLI station and a Somerfield supermarket and new road which has helped to ease the traffic flow into the town.