This is a list of recording artists
who have reached number one on Billboard magazine's Hot Dance Club Play
began ranking dance music on the week ending October 26 1974
and this is the standard music popularity chart in the United States
for play in nightclubs
- All acts are listed alphabetically.
- Solo artists are alphabetized by last name, Groups by group name excluding "A," "An" and "The."
- Each act's total of number one U.S. dance hits is shown after their name.
- All artists who are mentioned in song credits are listed here; this includes one-time pairings of otherwise solo artists and those appearing as "featured".
- Many dance artists and producers utilize aliases and pseudonyms - this list shows whichever artist name was used on the record (for example, Size 9 gets one credit for "I'm Ready," instead of Josh Wink).
- Artists associated with a group who reached number one, yet have their own solo page in Wikipedia are not listed here, unless they hit number one as a solo artist.
- Sources for this list provided by Joel Whitburn's Hot Dance/Disco 1974-2003 (ISBN 0-89820-156-X). Information used from data beginning the premiere week of the Hot Dance Music/Club Play to the present. Additional information obtained after the cut-off date in the book can be found within Billboard's online archive services and print editions of the magazine.