Previously called the "Municipal Gallery of Modern Art", it has been renamed the "Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane", but is still often simply known as "The Hugh Lane". The gallery was founded by Hugh Lane on Harcourt Street in 1908, and is the first known public gallery of modern art in the world.
Since relocated to Parnell Street, the museum has a permanent collection and hosts exhibitions, mostly by contemporary Irish artists. Francis Bacon's studio was reconstructed in the gallery in 2001. The gallery was closed for reconstruction in 2004, reopening in May 2006. The gallery now includes an extension by Gilroy McMahon Architects and Buro Happold, featuring a dedicated Sean Scully room. Also, the entire collection bequeathed by Hugh Lane (which is usually shared with the National Gallery London) will be on display together until later in the year.