Mark Cocks is a British lead guitarist who plays for Warner Bros’ Top 40 artist Doug Walker and features on Doug’s debut album Fear Together (2008) (produced by Danton Supple – producer of Coldplay’s X&Y etc). He also plays for UK rock band Quench (ICC Records) as well as ex Dum Dums frontman Josh Doyle in the USA and Martyn Layzell (Survivor Records). He has also appeared with various other artists for TV and recording sessions including Italian superstar Elisa, on the same bill as Destiny’s Child at an MTV Live event.
Mark's nickname 'Magic' originates from a Doug Walker radio session on Dermot O'Leary's BBC Radio 2 show, where Dermot referred to Mark as 'Magic' after misreading his name on a handwritten note.
Other projects Mark has been linked to include Breakbeat/Punk/Thrash band Psalmistry, pop band TVB and comedy 70s Funk/Disco covers band The Mojo Collective.
Mark was born in Truro, Cornwall, England and lived in Newquay, Cornwall for the first few years of his life. His family then moved to Alton, Hampshire where at the age of 16 Mark taught himself to play guitar. His first real taste of playing in bands was on The University of Exeter
band scene, where he won the award for best guitarist two years running at the Battle of the Bands competition. Mark graduated from Exeter University with a Law Degree, a qualification he has never used as he has played guitar professionally since graduating. His only music qualification is a Diploma in Contemporary Music (with Honours) from the Academy of Contemporary Music
- Fender USA Strat Plus (customised with his trademark mirror scratchplate, Graphtech Ghost piezo saddles and pre-amp, and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup with coil tap)
- Fender USA Standard Telecaster
- Taylor 314CE
- Gibson Les Paul Standard
- Gibson Firebird Studio
- Line 6: DL4, MM4 and FM4,
- MXR EVH Phase 90
- Electro Harmonix Mini Q-Tron
- Digitech Whammy IV
- Seabro Tubestation Talk Box
- Ibanez TS9DX,
- Tokai TDL-1 Delay
- Boss TU-2, OC-2, TR-2
- Jim Dunlop Cry Baby,
- Ebow Plus
- Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special 2X12
- Marshall TSL100 Head with 1960A and 1960B 4X12 speaker cabinets.
- Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head.
Mesa/Boogie, Line 6, Picato Musicians Strings, Pedal Train Cases.
- Fear Together by Doug Walker (2008)
- Reality Radio by Quench (2008)
- High School Soldier by Josh Doyle (2007, release tbc)
- Stand In Awe (live) by Martyn Layzell and St Aldates (2006)
- One God (live) by Martyn Layzell (Spring Harvest) (2006)
- Heavenbound (live) by Martyn Layzell (New Wine) (2006)
- Dredd vs Death OST Playstation/X-Box/PC game (2003)
- Afterglow by Quench (2003)
- Barnroom Demos by Entrace Thesis (Josh Doyle) 2002
- Mandora EP by Mandora (2003)
- Icons Be Bygones by Ripcord (2001)
- Number One Superguy by Numberone Superguy (2000)
- Rumpus Room by Ripcord (2000)
- What About Us by TVB (1997)
Plus guest appearances on recordings by Psalmistry and Freeslave