Proctor's welcome sign on U.S. Highway 2 states "You have a place in Proctor."
Proctor is located beside the Bayview Heights neighborhood of Duluth, with which it forms something of a contiguous community unit due to Bayview Heights' topographical separation (the hill) from adjacent West Duluth. It is bounded by school rival Hermantown to the north, Midway Township to the west, Duluth's Bayview Heights neighborhood to the east, and a mostly undeveloped area of Duluth (officially in the Riverside neighborhood) to the south.
The South St. Louis County Fair takes place annually the second week of August. Some of the events at the Fair include karaoke contests, a teen dance, car show, petting zoo, pony rides, bull riding, carnival rides, 4-H exhibits, horse shows, lumberjack show, and stock car racing.
Auto Racing at the Proctor Speedway also takes place at this same location on Sundays from May to October.
The Proctor Hoghead Festival also takes places every August. Hoghead celebrates Proctor's railroad heritage - the world's largest inland iron ore sorting facilities. Railroad oriented events include hand car races, spike driving contests, golden spike treasure hunt, parade, fireworks, mile run (prizes for beating state record), food & craft vendors, games, car show, rib cook-off, street dance, pet parade, softball & golf tourneys, Ecumenical church service, kids games, and community picnic.
There were 1,196 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.5% were married couples living together, 10.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.4% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 86.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $38,322, and the median income for a family was $49,875. Males had a median income of $33,583 versus $22,035 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,851. About 3.2% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.5% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.
Proctor High School's first graduating class was 1912. The first graduates were Mayme Nelson, Belle Simkin, Leona Paulu-Salutatorian, Margaret Bomier-Valedictorian and Vernie Clark.
The next location of an engine was found on the Mallet school paper established in 1925. The staff used the Duluth Missabe and Northern #208 and placed it on the front page of the 1926 issue. The 208 was one of two original “Mallets” purchased by the DM&N. The students said it “represented the spirit behind the students of Proctor...strength and determination”. In 1943 The Mallet used an engine that was to become the standard for the next 50 plus years. There was a search for an engine that would be the Pride of Proctor. The selection was made to honor the first engine to Proctor. The engine was the Duluth Missabe and Northern # 15. The #15 was used to transport the first iron ore through Proctor on July 22, 1893. The #15 was a 4-6-0 type of engine built in 1893 and was used until 1933. This engine was an engraving of the engine #15. This engraving became “the symbol” of the Proctor Rails. It represented the proud, dignified and strong image of the rich tradition of this great school district created by the foresight and dedication of the people of the district, the students and the leadership of Superintendent A. I. Jedlicka.
The engraving was received via John Benson at the Proctor Journal.
In 1918, upon the arrival of the students into the “new” high school on the east side of town, the student body selected to use the dark green of the “old” building and the white. The white came from the class of 1912 graduates use of white, while receiving their diplomas in their “official” graduation photo. This was to be a sign of commitment, lasting recognition and deep appreciation for the faith the students took in the opportunity to stay in Proctor; also for their high school years from 1908-1917. Dark green was selected as the official school color along with white.
These school colors have been consistent in each of the three Proctor High School buildings.
1. Immanuel Lutheran Church is standing on the original site.
2. Most Proctor High School aged students attended and graduated from either Duluth Central or Duluth Denfeld during this period of time.
The name Proctorian was selected for the yearbook in a student contest. The judges were Mr. W. F. Morong, Mr. C. B. Gilbert and Mr. H. H. Peyton. The winning student was Charles Bouschor, class of 1922.
Volume One of the Proctorian states, “This is the first publication of the senior annual of Proctor High School. This issue should be prized above all others as it marks the founding of a new enterprise” It is also dedicated to Principal Dwight W. Hiestand, “A faithful advisor and friend.” The cover of this book was designed by Harry MacKenzie. The cost was 75 cents and 150 were published.
The Proctorian was not published in 1919 as Mr. E. C. Grubbs, Superintendent of Proctor Public Schools placed the school district into a financial debt. The State of Minnesota removed Mr. Grubbs and sent Mr. A. I. Jedlicka to put the district on a firm foundation. Sadly, this financial debt, the loss of Mr. Hiestand-(Principal and the founder of Proctor inter-scholastic athletics) to Aurora High School, not to mention that the school year did not start until November 25 due to the Spanish influenza - Proctor High School was used as a hospital, did not allow the class of 1919 to publish their annual. The Proctorian continued from 1920 through 1923. There was not a Proctorian from 1924 - 1941. The Proctorian was again published in 1942 and has continued in this proud tradition till this day.
A unique quality of the first Proctorian is that each member of the class held a position as yearbook staff: William Harrison, Editor-in-Chief; Werl Smith, Assistant Editor; Henry Eiler, Business Manager; Royal Bouschor, Athletic Editor; Ruby McTaggart, Cartoonist; Ruth Barncard, Art Editor; Ruth Carlson, Social Editor; Brenda Stewart, Assistant Social Editor; Hilda Ferguson Treasurer.
A Board of Faculty Advisors composed of Superintendent A. I. Jedlicka, Miss Auman, and Miss VanHoeson was put in place to make this paper possible.
“A great many of the High Schools in the State publish a weekly paper,” Mr. Jedlicka said, “and this paper is the result of a great deal of punch on the part of both the students and faculty which groups have both wanted the paper.”
The Mallet was first published on October 9, 1925 as the official publication of the Proctor public schools. Miss Helen Tormoen is the editor-in-chief and Sammy Spurbeck is the business manager in 1925. The paper consisted of four pages, 9 X 12 inches and is entirely edited by high school students. The cost was eight cents each.
“The mission of the paper is principally to encourage interest in the school and its activities, especially the athletic department. A school letter can now be won by intellectual prowess as well as athletic.”
The name Mallet was selected as it reflected strength and determination of the nature of the students and citizens of Proctor.
(From 1928, through the mid 1940s, The Mallet was printed in the Proctor Journal and not as an independent paper.)
Hockey - Proctor Amateur Hockey Association - works to promote a fun, fair, and safe environment that maximizes participation and improves players' skills while developing sportsmanship, teamwork, and self-confidence.