The Theosophical Society was founded on 17 November 1875 in New York by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, William Quan Judge and Henry Steel Olcott. Blavatsky and Olcott (who served as the Theosophical Society's first president), moved to Adyar in 1878; the headquarters of the Theosophical Society were established there, where they remain to this day. In 1886, the American Section of the Theosophical Society was established in New York.
In 1895, 75 lodges resigned from the Theosophical Society and elected Judge as president. The organization formed by those 75 lodges is today referred to as Theosophical Society Pasadena.
26 lodges remained in Olcott's TS under the leadership of Alexander Fullerton. It is the organization then comprised of those 26 lodges which is today known as The Theosophical Society in America.
For the most part, the United Lodge of Theosophists and the Pasadena Group are almost exclusively dedicated to the writings of H.P. Blavatsky. The Adyar Society is not only the largest group but also the most diverse and exhibit the evolution of the theosophical leadership since its inception in 1875.
Thus, as above stated, the original Theosophical Society was now divided into two autonomous branches, two sister societies, each thenceforth to work out its own destiny. The few lodges in America which had shown sympathy with Mrs. Besant and her views formed a new section recognizing Adyar as its headquarters.
The entire Indian Section, a majority of the European, and most of the small Australian Section chose to follow Adyar. Mrs. Besant (Second International President) settled in India, where she devoted her tremendous energy to the development of the Adyar Society, temporarily depleted by the loss of support from the richer and more vigorous American Section and of so many active lodges and members in other countries.
In January 1898 Tingley founded in New York the International Brotherhood Organisation (IBO). In February 1898 she became president of the TS in America. Both the TS in America and the IBO were now renamed to the 'Universal Brotherhood and Theosophical Society (UBTS), with Tingley as president. In February 1900 Tingley moved the headquarters from New York to Lomaland. Later, the Society was again renamed to Theosophische Gesellschaft Point Loma'' (TG-Point Loma).
After Tingley's death in 1929, Gottfried de Purucker became president. He renamed the society from UBTS to Theosophical Society or Theosophical Society Point Loma.
In 1950 and 1951 the headquarters were moved to Pasadena and Altadena, and changed its name to TS Pasadena. After Conger's death, James A. Long became president in a controversial election. In 1971, Grace F. Knoche became president of the TS Pasadena.
Because of James Long's controversial election in 1951, some theosophical lodges separated from the TS Pasadena. The Dutch section of the TS under its president D.J.P. Kok and other societies didn't accept the controversial election. The societies that separated themselves from the TS Pasadena formed the Theosophical Society Point Loma-Covina.
Joint Press Point with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the President of the Czech Republic, Milos Zeman
Sep 20, 2013; BRUSSELS, Belgium -- The following information was released by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO): Joint press point...
Joint Press Point with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and the President of Kyrgyzstan, Mr. Almazbek Atambayev
Sep 17, 2013; BRUSSELS, Belgium -- The following information was released by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO): Joint Press Point...