In 1505 a papal bull of Pope Julius II allowed it to teach degrees in Theology, Philosophy, Law, Medicine and Arts. In 1551 the city council granted a General Study Centre (Estudio General) which enabled the School to become officially a university.
The main building of University of Seville is known as the "Old Tobacco Factory", because there was such a factory in the building up to the 50s. This beautiful building is also the setting for the very well-known opera by Bizet, Carmen. Carmen was, in fact, a worker in the tobacco factory. This building houses four of the university's faculties: the School of Literature & Filology, the School of Geography & History, and the Law School.
Other Faculties are located throughout Seville, including the Health Science schools in La Macarena, the Business School in Nervion, the Engineering School and School of Communications in La Cartuja and Science Schools in Reina Mercedes.