A pop quiz
is a quiz
given to the class without prior warning or announcement. The practice is commonly used by teachers
in high schools
and undergraduate programs
in the United States
- To regain a class's focus on a certain subject that they may not have been studying hard enough otherwise.
- To reward classes with high attendance and punish those that don't in a university or collegiate environment.
Pop quizzes in popular culture
- The 1994 movie Speed also used this term as a way to verbally attack someone by asking them what they would do in a crisis situation.
- In the 2007 movie Transformers, after high school students make fun of Sam Witwicky in class, his teacher Mr. Hosney warns them that there may or may not be a pop quiz tomorrow.
- The 1992 movie Wayne's world also used this term : (Garth to Wayne) "Okay, pop quiz. Cassandra is not interested in Benjamin because... A: Chicks think he's handsome, B: has cool car, C: has lots of cash, D: has no visible scars, E: does not live with parents."