Church End Mill was built by William Redington, a miller from Harlow in 1822 for John Fuller. It incorporated second-hand machinery from a smock mill from an unknown location and the total cost of the mill was £564 10s 6d. In 1840, a new cast iron windshaft and Patent sails were fitted, but the windshaft snapped shortly afterwards and the sails landed on the outbuildings connected with the mill. The mill remained in the ownership of John Fuller until his death in 1887. The mill did little trade after 1894, and ceased work c1902, the sails being removed then. By 1907 it was being used as a studio and during World War Two was used as an obsevation post, the cap having been removed by then. A new cap was fitted in 1974 by millwright Philip Barrett-Lennard. The mill has been house converted, with no machinery remaining inside.
Church End Mill is a four storey tower mill with a conical cap with a ball finial. The mill had four single Patent sails carried on a cast iron windshaft and was winded by a six bladed fantail. The tower is high to curb level, diameter at base level and diameter at the curb. The brickwork is thick at base level. There was a stage at first floor level. Two pairs of French Burr millstones were driven by wind, with a third pair by steam engine towards the end of the mill’s working life.
As originally built, the mill had an oak windshaft, square at the poll end and long carrying four Common sails with cloths long by wide. The windshaft carried an elm brake wheel diameter with 80 cogs, which drove an elm wallower diameter with 46 cogs, carried on an oak upright shaft long and square. The clasp arm elm great spur wheel was diameter, with 105 cogs. It drove two elm stone nuts of diameter, each having 28 cogs.
References for above:-