- see also: Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
Point Pleasant is a Borough in Ocean County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the borough population was 19,306. The United States Census Bureau's 2006 population estimate for Point Pleasant was 19,882.
Point Pleasant was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 21 1920, from portions of Brick Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 19, 1920. The borough was reincorporated on March 12 1928.
Point Pleasant is located at (40.079642, -74.070419).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 4.2 square miles (10.8 km²), of which, 3.5 square miles (9.1 km²) of it is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km²) of it (15.14%) is water.
The town is home to the Point Pleasant Canal, a part of the Intracoastal Waterway.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 19,306 people, 7,560 households, and 5,231 families residing in the borough. The population density
was 5,461.6 people per square mile (2,111.6/km²). There were 8,350 housing units at an average density of 2,362.2/sq mi (913.3/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 97.83% White
, 0.29% African American
, 0.14% Native American
, 0.54% Asian
, 0.01% Pacific Islander
, 0.50% from other races
, and 0.69% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 2.41% of the population.
There were 7,560 households out of which 32.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the borough the population was spread out with 23.7% under the age of 18, 6.0% from 18 to 24, 30.5% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 92.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $55,987, and the median income for a family was $64,798. Males had a median income of $50,828 versus $32,886 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $25,715. About 2.0% of families and 3.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.0% of those under age 18 and 5.2% of those age 65 or over.
Point Pleasant is governed under the Borough
form of New Jersey municipal government. The government consists of a Mayor and a Borough Council comprising six council members, with all positions elected at large. A Mayor is elected directly by the voters to a four-year term of office. The Borough Council consists of six members elected to serve three-year terms on a staggered basis, with two seats coming up for election each year.
The Mayor is the head of municipal government; sees that state laws and borough ordinances are faithfully executed; presides over the Council. votes only to break ties; can veto ordinances subject to override by ⅔ majority of Council; and appoints subordinate officers with Council approval. After thirty days or upon Council disapproval, Council fills posts.
The Borough Council is the legislative body of municipality. The Council overrides a mayor's veto by ⅔ majority of all members, confirms mayor's appointments. The Council gains appointment power upon failure to confirm mayor's appointee or after office vacant for thirty days. The Council has all executive responsibility not placed in office of mayor.
The Mayor of Point Pleasant is Martin Konkus R, term ends December 31 2010. The members of the Borough Council are Council President A. Roger Pyrtko (R, 2008) Susan Rogers (R, 2011), William Dikun (R, 2011), John N. Kaklamanis (R, 2009), Brian W. McAlindin (R, 2008) and Shaun O'Rourke (D, 2009).
Federal, state and county representation
Point Pleasant is in the Fourth Congressional District and is part of New Jersey's 10th Legislative District.
The Point Pleasant School District
serves students in kindergarten through twelfth grade.
Schools in the district (with 2005-06 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics
are two elementary schools for grades K-5 —
Nellie F. Bennett Elementary School
(846 students) and
Ocean Road School
Memorial Middle School
for grades 6-8 (750) and Point Pleasant Boro High School
for grades 9-12 (1,039).
Notable current and former residents of Point Pleasant include:
- Antonella Barba (1986-), contestant on the sixth season of American Idol.
- Peter Cancro, CEO of Jersey Mike's Subs, who started working at the Point Pleasant location as a 14-year old.
- Tawny Cypress (1976-), actress appearing on K-Ville as Ginger "Love Tap" LeBeau.
- Kirsten Dunst (1982-), actress born in Point Pleasant in 1982.
- Laurel Hester (1956-2006), police officer who rose to national attention with her deathbed appeal for the extension of pension benefits to her domestic partner.
- Leonard Lomell (1919-), U.S. Army Ranger who played a pivotal role in destroying German gun emplacements on D-Day.
- Diamond Dallas Page (1956-), former professional wrestler.
- Eugene O'Neill (1888-1953), playwright, married local woman Agnes Boulton and lived here winter of 1918-1919. When the couple divorced, Agnes moved back to Point Pleasant with the children, Shane and Oona. Oona O'Neill later married Charlie Chaplin.
- Christie Pearce (1975-), USA Soccer player - born here in 1975.
- Kurt Pellegrino (1979-), MMA fighter- Fighting under the UFC brand.
- Dean DeLeo (1961-), Stone Temple Pilots guitarist.
- Soraya (1969-2006), musician, Latin Grammy Award-winning, Colombian American artist, born here.