Plauen is a city in the Free State of Saxony, east-central Germany.
It is the capital of the Vogtlandkreis. The city is situated near the border of Bavaria and the Czech Republic.
Plauen's slogan is Plauen - echt Spitze.
The city was founded by Polabian Slavs
in the 12th century and was passed to the Kingdom of Bohemia
in 1327 and to Albertine Saxony
in 1466. Plauen passed to the Electorate of Saxony
in 1569. It became part of the Kingdom of Saxony
in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars
In the late 19th century, Plauen became a textile manufacturing center, specializing in lace. Around 1910 Plauen, as a kind of industrial 'boomtown', reached its population peak (1910 census: 121,000, 1912: 128,000).
In the 1930s Plauen earned the dubious distinction of hosting the first chapter of the Nazi Party outside of Bavaria. Plauen's population shrunk dramatically since World War II (1939: 111,000 inhabitants).
From 1945 on, Plauen belonged to the Soviet occupation zone of Germany, from 1949 to 1990 to the German Democratic Republic. During that time it hosted a large Red Army occupation garrison and in the last years of the East German state the officer school of the border guards ("Grenztruppen der DDR"). The exposé Fast Food Nation gives special mention to Plauen as the first city in East Germany following the collapse of the Berlin Wall to have a McDonald's restaurant.
In the district reform of July 1 2008, Plauen lost its urban district status and was included into the district of Vogtlandkreis.
- Museum Plauener Spitze
- Galerie e.O. plauen
- Old Town Hall
- Friedensbrücke - largest stone arch bridge in the world
- Alte Elsterbrücke - oldest bridge in Saxony
Education and science
Plauen is home to a University of Applied Sciences
, with about 300 students and a DIPLOMA Fachhochschule.
- Aš, Czech Republic, since 1962
- Cegléd, Hungary, since 2005
- Steyr, Austria, since 1970
- Hof, Bavaria, Germany, since 1987
- Siegen, Germany, since 1990
- Pabianice, Poland, since 2006