Historically a part of Lancashire, and formerly a part of the township of Newton Heath, Miles Platting began to appear on maps in the 1820s, when it had begun to expand into a factory district as a result of the Industrial Revolution. That industrial growth resulted in a population that became very large for the size of the district, resulting in densely packed back-to-back housing that had degenerated into slums by 1950.
Today, Miles Platting is part of the East Manchester Regeneration Scheme and is undergoing extensive redevelopment and regeneration as some of the last vestiges of the Industrial Revolution are removed.
Miles Platting certainly did have many mills by the middle of the 19th century; Holland Mill, Victoria Mill and Ducie Mill being amongst the largest. By the 1870s a chemical works, timber yard, gas works and a tannery were also operating in the area alongside the many mills. This volume of industry in such a relatively small area inevitably led to the construction of densely packed back-to-back housing to provide homes for the necessary workforce. By the middle of the 20th century, with the decline in manufacturing industry and the closure of its local industries, Miles Platting had become a slum area inhabited by a deprived, largely white, community. Today, Miles Platting contains just under 2,000 housing units, many of them managed by Manchester City Council, including 12 multi-storey blocks. The area, once recognised as being amongst the most deprived in the UK, has benefited greatly from the very substantial urban regeneration scheme for east Manchester initiated in the late 1990s.
Miles Platting once had a railway station at the junction of the lines from Manchester Victoria to Oldham and Stalybridge, but this closed in 1995, and the station was subsequently demolished. The railway line, which remains open for passenger traffic, separates Miles Platting from Collyhurst and Monsall. The area was also the location of Oldham Road railway station, the original terminus for the Manchester and Leeds Railway until the line was extended to Manchester Victoria station from 1839.
The future of the basilica remains uncertain. The charity Age Concern has expressed an interest in building an activity centre on the site, as well as residential care, and is also looking at the possibility of building a new headquarters, community rooms and offices for people working and living in the area.
From 1880, until the slum clearances of the 1970s, a Salvation Army corps existed here in Cash Street.
ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES ISSUES NOTICE ON ASLS 2006-12 CHIGNAKI POND SUBD., PH. II. SURVEYING, ENGINEERING, PLATTING
Sep 12, 2006; The Alaska Department of Natural Resources issued the following public notice: Body of Notice: The Department of Natural...