Tanfield is a former mining village in County Durham, England near Stanley and is the location of Tanfield Railway and the Causey Arch.
Tanfield was the home of Tommy Armstrong (1848-1919), the "pit-man poet", whose grave is in the village cemetery. It is also the location of Tanfield School
Tanfield mainly homes British Christians, and there is a Methodist church in Tanfield Lea.
The village church of St Margaret of Antioch dates back to 900 AD, but the present structure was built in the 18th century. It was the parish church of Beamish Hall, former home to the Eden, Joicey and Shafto families.
Stores and services
Many people from Tanfield and other nearby villages head to Stanley for their shopping.
- Tanfield Lea Colliery, Tanfield Lea. Closed 25 August 1962. Owners:- Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd; (1947) NCB. Location:- (Sheet 88) NZ188544, 54° 53' 2" N, 1° 42' 25" W, 7 miles [11 km] SW of Newcastle.
- Tanfield Moor Colliery, Tantobie. Opened before 1828. Closed Oct 1948. Owners:- Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd. Location:- (Sheet 88) NZ169545, 54° 53' 6" N, 1° 44' 12" W, 7.5 miles [12 km] SW of Newcastle.
- East Tanfield Colliery, Tantobie. Opened 1844. Closed January 1965. Owners: - James Joicey (from 1844), East Tanfield Colliery Co. Limited (from 1917), South Derwentside Coal Co. Limited (from 1929). National Coal Board (from 1947). Location: - (Sheet 88) NZ194552, 54° 53' 28" N, 1° 41' 51" W, 6½ miles [10 km] SW of Newcastle
- http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/t001.htm - Durham Mining Museum