The Academy of Holy Angels (AHA) is a Catholic, coeducational high school located in Richfield, Minnesota. Located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, Holy Angels educates more than 850 students each year in grades nine through twelve from around the Twin Cities metropolitan area. A nationally recognized college preparatory school, it offers a rigorous, broad-based curriculum and numerous opportunities to excel in co-curricular activities, arts and athletics. Holy Angels welcomes students of all racial and religious backgrounds.
The school was accredited in 1932, and that same year the school had its first graduating class of 13 members. In 1935 the Alumnae Association was established with most of its efforts directed toward communication, reunions, special events for alumni and the annual alumni phonathon. In 1946, after St. Peter's Parish opened next door and established an elementary parish school, Holy Angels closed their elementary grades. The 1952-1953 school year was the last year for boarders to live at Holy Angels, and 1953 marked the beginning of Holy Angels solely as a day school.
In September 1972, the Academy became a coeducational school. The class of 1976 was the first full four-year co-ed class. Because the school was now co-ed, the Angies became the co*Stars and varsity athletics began. Today the athletic program has grown to 33 teams representing 18 varsity sports for both girls and boys. In 1989 a middle school and theater school were established. In 1996, to enhance the campus and revenues, Holy Angels built the StarDome; a $2 million, year-round athletic facility (the first high school in the United States to have a facility of this type). The complex includes bleachers, a concession building and a playing field for Holy Angels sports and activities. The playing surface consists of Field Turf and features a removable bubble to make the field playable during the winter months. The field is uncovered during the summer.
In 1998 Holy Angels was named a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education. That same year, although it had not even been open a decade, Holy Angel's middle school was closed. But, despite this closing, the high school was still growing, expanding their classroom space by 15%. In 2003 Holy Angels purchased the 26-acre campus from its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, at a substantial discount. In that same year, they built and dedicated a new addition that included a Convocation Center and classrooms.
With the rise in popularity of private schools in the 1990s, Athletics at Holy Angels started recruiting higher talent and began to emerge as a power in certain sports.
In 2005, both the boys and girls hockey teams won the state championship, the first time in Minnesota that the boys and girls hockey championships were from the same school.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Hockey, Boys||2||2002, 2005|
|Competitive Cheerleading||3||2003, 2004, 2005|
|Spring||Golf, Boys||3||1994, 1998, 1999|
ARMENIA FUND USA'S FUNDRAISING PHONATHON 2005; Ringing Success for the Rebirth of Artsakh November 17-20, 2005
Oct 15, 2005; Armenian Reporter, The 10-15-2005 Armenia Fund USA, East Coast Affiliate of "Hayastan" All-Armenian Fund(Himnadram), announces...