The town was incorporated in 1810 by the proprietor, Daniel Penfield, who purchased the town lands in 1795 and moved to the area in 1809. Penfield is a suburb of Rochester, New York. The town's motto is "A Town of Planned Progress".
There were 13,144 households out of which 34.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.4% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.7% were non-families. 22.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 27.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $63,223, and the median income for a family was $74,959. Males had a median income of $52,282 versus $33,365 for females. The per capita income for the town was $29,576. About 2.3% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
Schools in Penfield
The Penfield Central School District has 4 public elementary schools, including one (Indian Landing) located in the Town of Brighton. The grounds of the Charles Finney School are adjacent to the grounds of Penfield High School as the building housing Finney housed the Penfield High School until it was moved to a newer structure during the 1960s.
The District was included by the American Music Conference in its list, the 2006 Best 100 Communities for Music Education.
|Penfield High School (PHS)||Public High School||9-12|
|Southeast Christian Academy||Christian School||PK-12|
|Charles Finney School||Christian School||K-12|
|Bay Trail Middle School (BTMS)||Public Middle School||6-8|
|Harris Hill||Public Elementary School||K-5|
|Cobbles||Public Elementary School||K-5|
|Scribner Road||Public Elementary School||K-5|
|Indian Landing||Public Elementary School||K-5|
|St. Joseph's||Catholic Elementary School||Pre-School - 6|
Following the American Revolution the lands that became Penfield were included in the Phelps and Gorham Purchase. After passing through several hands, Townships 13 and 14 of Range IV of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase were acquired by Daniel Penfield in several transactions during the course of 1795.
The Town of Penfield was established in 1810 and the first Town Meeting was held on 2 April 1811. The town initially consisted of Townships 13 and 14 of Range IV. A portion of the southwest corner went to the Town of Brighton when it was established in 1814, and Township 14 became the Town of Webster in 1840. So modern Penfield is, with minor differences, Township 13 of Range IV of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase.
The volunteer Penfield Fire Company provides fire protection, rescue and non-transport emergency medical services to that part of the Town included within the Penfield Fire District. Northern parts of Penfield receive these services from the Webster Fire Department.
The Penfield Volunteer Emergency Ambulance Service (PVEAS) provides Basic Life Support with trained Emergency Medical Technicians. Advanced Life Support services are provided by the Southeast Quadrant Mobile Critical Care Unit (SEQ MCCU).