[v. oh-ver-lap; n. oh-ver-lap]
may mean one of:
- In music theory, Overlap is a synonym for reinterpretation of a chord at the boundary of two musical phrases
- In railway signalling, an overlap is the length of track beyond a stop signal that is proved to be clear of vehicles in the controls of the previous signal, as a safety margin.
- Overlap (road), a place where multiple road numbers overlap
- Overlap-add, an efficient convolution method using FFT
- In sailing, overlap happens when two or more boats/yachts are not clear astern and not clear ahead.
- In dramatic speech, overlap means to start saying something, then have someone else start saying the same sentence but starting at a different time.