Ford's first straight-6 engine was introduced in 1906 in the Model K. Production ended in 1907. Henry Ford did not like this car, which had a habit of tearing its transmission up. The next Ford six was introduced in the 1941 Ford. The company continued producing straight 6 engines until they were replaced in the mid-1990s by more compact V6 designs. However, Ford's Australian Branch manufactures these engines for their Falcon range to this day.
The first generation Ford six cylinder engines were all of the flathead type. They were the G and H series engines of used in cars and trucks and the M series of used only in larger trucks.
Introduced with the 1941 model year, the first Ford six (designated G series) displaced and produced , the same as the Flathead V-8 that year. Like the V-8, it was also a flathead or L-head engine. In 1948, Ford raised the compression of the flathead six (designated H series or Rouge 226) so that it generated and of torque. The G and H series engines were used in the full-size Ford cars and trucks to replace the smaller Flathead V8 that were used with the 1937 Ford. Ford discontinued production of the H series engine with the 1951 model year.
A version of the flathead six was used from 1948-53 in F-6 series Ford trucks and school buses (designated the M series or Rouge 254). The M series engine produced and . of torque. They were also used in industrial applications.
The second generation was produced from 1952 through 1964.
The 215 grew to for the 1954 F-series. Output was now (as the "Mileage Maker" in the trucks) and in the 1955 Ford cars. Power was up to in the 1956 trucks.
A version was also produced. The 262 was built from 1961-64 for use in Heavy Duty Ford Trucks. This engine was also used for industrial applications.
The third generation was produced at the Lima Engine plant in Lima, Ohio from 1960 through 1984. Officially dubbed the Thriftpower Six, this engine line is sometimes referred to as the Falcon Six. Note: Car companies including Ford, switched from gross ratings to net horsepower and torque ratings in 1972 (mainly because of the emissions laws being enacted nationwide at the time). Changes in engine compression and emissions controls make it difficult to compare engines from various production years (especially pre-1972).
The engine was first introduced in the 1960 Ford Falcon. The 144 was made from 1960 through 1964 and averaged during the production run. While not known for being powerful or a stout engine, it proved to be economical and could get fairly good gas mileage for the time (up to 25-30mpg). This small six was the basis for all the Ford "Falcon" straight six engines. The intake manifold on this series of engine was cast integrally with the cylinder head (this design was also used by Chevrolet with their third generation inline six); as a result, they could not be easily modified for greater power. This engine had four main bearings and can be identified by the three freeze (core) plugs on the side of the block. This engine was used on:
In 1961 the became an option for the Falcon line. The original 1964½ Ford Mustang used a version. The Econoline van and Ford Bronco received a heavier duty version with mechanical valve lifters. This engine had four main bearings and can be identified by the three freeze (core) plugs on the side of the block. The 170 was dropped from production in 1972.
The was introduced in the middle of 1963. The 1965 Mustang used this engine as standard with . The Mustang continued to use the 200 as its base engine until it was dropped in 1971. The 200 was used in the Maverick, and continued on in the Fairmont until the Fairmont was retired at the end of the 1983 model year. This engine had four main bearings at introduction through 1964 and can be idemtified by three freeze (core) plugs on the side of the block. All 1965 and later 200 CID engines were upgraded to seven main bearings to increase its durability. The 1965 and later engine can be identified by 5 freeze (core) plugs on the side of the block.
The 4-cylinder Ford HSC engine was based on the 200.
The straight six was an engine option offered in 1969 in the Mustang and 1970 in medium sized Ford cars(Maverick). Output was 155 hp (115 kW) in the Mustang, and became the base engine in 1971. Power was down to for 1972 and just the next year. The last year of production for the 250 was 1980. This engine had seven main bearings and can be identified by the five freeze (core) plugs on the side of the block. The block uses a low mount starter and six bellhousing bolts sharing its bellhousing with the Windsor V-8s 302-351W, late (1965-68) 289, 351 Cleveland, modular V-8s (4.6-5.4), and the 240-300 CID Ford Six.
Power at Specified RPM (DIN) Pre '86 running on Leaded Fuel 3.3 L @ 4100 rpm 4.1 L Carburetor @ 3750 rpm 4.1 L E.F.I Engine @ 4000 rpm
Torque at Specified RPM (DIN) Pre '86 running on Leaded Fuel 3.3 L 240 N m @ 2500 rpm 4.1 L Carburetor 316 N m @ 2400 rpm 4.1 L E.F.I Engine 333 N m @ 3000 rpm
Power at Specified RPM (DIN) ADR 37 compliant engine running on Unleaded 3.3 L @ 4000 rpm 4.1 L Carburetor @ 3600 rpm 4.1 L E.F.I Engine @ 4000 rpm
Torque at Specified RPM (DIN) ADR 37 compliant engine running on Unleaded 3.3 L 238 N m @ 2200 rpm 4.1 L Carburetor 303 N m @ 2000 rpm 4.1 L E.F.I Engine 328 N m @ 3000 rpm In 1988 when the EA Falcon was released two capacities were available, 3.2 L and 3.9 L. Using the cross flow design the inline 6 cylinder was of a single overhead cam-shaft design. The valve seats and valve guides are cast iron and retained in the alloy head by interference fit. The camshaft and auxiliary shaft are driven by a 'Duplex' chain. The duplex chain drives the distributor and the oil pump shafts. The camshaft is supported on the cylinder head by using 'topless' bearings. Bearing liners are not used. The shaft is held in position using valve spring pressure. Hydraulic lash adjusters mounted on the rocker arms are utlized to provide zero valve lash. As with all previous and current models the block is cast iron. (fuel injected), and a (fuel injected), and are, in its form, still used in base model Ford Falcons to this day (and some higher models such as the BA Falcon XR6 and XR6 Turbo.). This engine used a SOHC cylinder head in the EA-AU models (from 1988, all 3.9s and pre-BA 4.0s), and switched to a 24-valve DOHC renamed "Barra" in the BA model in 2002. Production is scheduled to end in 2010 when Falcons and Territorys will switch to imported Duratec V6s.
In the EF model Falcon the standard engine employed a high-energy coil-pack ignition system. However, the EL falcon used a distributor/coil ignition setup, as in Falcon models prior to EF.
|XY, XA, XB||4.1 L||Carburettor||OHV||Leaded|
|XC||4.1 L||Carburettor||OHV||Leaded||Crossflow cylinder head|
|XE||4.1 L||EFI||OHV||Leaded||Bosch LE II Jetronic fuel injection|
|XF||4.1 L||EFI||OHV||Unleaded||EEC-IV Single-point injection|
|EA, EB||3.9 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded|
|EA, EB||3.9 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded||EEC-IV Multi-point injection|
|EB series II, ED||4.0 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded|
|XR6 ED, EF, EL||4.0 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded|
|EF, EL, AU||4.0 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded||Coil-pack ignition system (EF only)|
|AU series II & III||4.0 L||EFI||SOHC||LPG||Dedicated LPG|
|XR6 AU||4.0 L||EFI||SOHC||Unleaded||VCT Variable Valve Timing|
|BA XR6 Turbo||4.0 L||EFI||DOHC||Unleaded||Garrett GT40 turbocharger|
|BF XR6 Turbo||4.0 L||EFI||DOHC||Unleaded||Garrett GT3540 turbocharger|
Produced at the Cleveland Engine plant in Brook Park, Ohio from 1964 through 1996, the 240 and 300 Sixes are well-known for their durability. Simple design and rugged construction continue to endear these engines to a number of Ford enthusiasts to this day.
One example of the engine's sturdy design is the fact that no timing chain or timing belt (both of which can break, causing unwanted downtime or even engine damage) is used. This generation of Ford Six was designed with long-wearing gears for that purpose instead. Few, if any, modern engines use timing gears; belts are by far more common, especially among non-domestic automakers.
The six for 1965 - 1975 cars and trucks produced . In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled by LPG or natural gas, this is known as the CSG-639.
A big six was added for the F-series in 1965 and was essentially a with a longer stroke (the two are nearly interchangeable aside from a few parts). It produced . The 300 became the base F-series engine in 1978 at (hp number changes due to Ford switching to Net power ratings in 1971.) Power outputs were increased to roughly during the early 1980s before fuel injection was introduced. This became the primary engine of the line, eclipsing the 240. Unlike the Falcon engine, it featured separate intake and exhaust manifolds which could be easily replaced with aftermarket manifolds offering the promise of even more power, through the installation of larger carburetors and a higher flowing exhaust system.
Also during the late sixties and early seventies, the 300 was used in larger vehicles such as dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,000–20,000 pound (7,000–9,000 kg) range. These 300s were equipped with a higher flow HD (Heavy Duty) exhaust manifold since the engines were going to be constantly working in the 3000–4000 rpm range. These rare, yet effective, manifolds had higher flow than the electronic fuel injection 4.9 (300) manifolds and some headers.
This engine is also used by Stewart and Stevenson in the MA Baggage Tow Tractor (pdf), as well as a multitude of other pieces of equipment, such as ski lifts, power generators, wood chippers, tractors, and, until they converted to diesel engines, most UPS trucks. Many UPS trucks still use the 300 to this day.
In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled with LPG or natural gas, this engine is known as the CSG-649.
Engine sizes were converted to metric for 1983, causing the 300 to become the "4.9". Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to . This engine was gradually phased out, ending production in 1996 and replaced by the Essex V6 in the F-series trucks with their 1997 redesign. However, it was renowned for its durability, low end torque, and ease of service. Often going for more than 300,000 mi (480,000 km) before rebuilds, many continue in service. Ford also built some trucks with the 300 cubic inch (4.9 L) engine coupled with the Ford C6 transmission and the Ford E4OD transmission as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5 speed manual transmission through the mid-1990s. This combination is a durable truck powertrain. The 4.9 liter 6 cylinder was built in Cleveland, Ohio.