Theodore "Ted" Evelyn Mosby is a fictional character created by Carter Bays and Craig Thomas for the CBS television series How I Met Your Mother, portrayed by Josh Radnor. Ted is the main character, the show being an older Ted Mosby, in 2030, telling his son and daughter the stories of his adult life (each one per episode), until he met their mother, the older Ted (voiced by Bob Saget, but never seen) being the story's narrator.
Ted, the central character of the show, is from Shaker Heights, Ohio
, and is a Wesleyan University
graduate and an architect who, according to Barney,
thinks too much. After his best friend Marshall
becomes engaged, Ted decides to try and find his soulmate.
Prone to socially questionable romantic gestures, he steals a blue French horn (nicknamed " The Smurf Penis") that was a topic of conversation in his first date with Robin. In a similar vein, he also dresses up as a "hanging chad" every year for Halloween, in the hopes of meeting the "Slutty Pumpkin", a woman dressed as a jack-o'-lantern (complete with strategically placed holes) whom he once met at a Halloween party.
For a time, he dates a baker named Victoria, whom he met at a friend's wedding. She accepts a culinary fellowship in Germany, prompting a long-distance relationship, which does not last, due in large part to his persistent feelings for Robin. His friendship with Robin is threatened when he implies that Victoria broke up with him before he actually did, leading to their making out.
They ultimately reconcile, and shortly after that, Ted makes one last attempt to win her, hiring a chamber orchestra with blue instruments to play in her apartment while he makes his appeal. She cannot give him a definite answer, but, after she is stuck at her apartment due to an unpredicted storm (that Ted had danced for), she decides to pursue her feelings for him upon his return to her. After nearly a year together, they break up, and Ted no longer sees Robin as "The One," but doesn't reveal the identity of his future wife. Robin, however, does act as an "Aunt" figure of sorts to his future children.
Ted comes from Shaker Heights, Ohio, (in real life, Josh Radnor grew up in the Columbus, Ohio area). He was seen cheering for the Cleveland Indians when they were playing the Yankees at a baseball game (season 2, episode 1) and he alluded to once being trapped under a fake rock at a mall in Ohio when he was 9 (Slap Bet). He also wears a Cleveland Indians T-Shirt in the episode Sandcastles In The Sand. He and Marshall were randomly assigned as freshman year roommates at Wesleyan but became friends on a long road trip that was deemed both "Fieroasco" (by Marshall) and the "100k Fiasco" (by Ted). This story was told in Arrivederci, Fiero.
For a while Ted claimed to be "vomit-free since '93," meaning he had not vomited for any reason since 1993. However, in the episode Game Night, he reveals that this is not true, and that he vomited on Robin's door mat. He knows sign language (presumably American Sign Language), and has a strong tendency to correct everything that people around him say.
It is revealed in "No Tomorrow" that at a St. Patrick's Day party he and Barney attended, his future wife was also present and he inadvertedly met her there. Once he returns to the room of the party the morning after, he picks up a yellow umbrella which can be seen blowing in the wind in the season promo. Also, he becomes the second main character to actually own a car (a blue Toyota Camry Hybrid) after getting a raise at his job in "The Chain of Screaming." By the end of the episode, Ted decides to get rid of the car to help Marshall with his income trouble.
In The Goat, Ted tells Barney that he no longer wants to be friends after Barney breaks the 'bro code' by sleeping with Robin. The two eventually reconcile in the Season Three Finale Miracles, after both were in accidents (Ted in a taxi crash, Barney being run over by a bus on the way to visit Ted in the hospital). At the end of season 3, it is also revealed that by Ted's 31st birthday, Robin will be living in the apartment.
At the end of "Miracles" Ted proposes to Stella. Stella accepts, and while Ted is still quite in love with her, he realizes at the beginning of Season 4 that he doesn't know that much about her.
- Molly - Portrayed in a flashback, Ted loses his virginity at 17 to Molly, who said that she loved him, although she didn't. After having sex with Ted, Molly borrowed $20 from him and never called him again.
- Trudy - Ted met Trudy in the episode The Pineapple Incident when Barney told Ted to stop overthinking and to overdrink. Ted then drank a round of shots and forgot what happened that night until he woke up in the morning next to Trudy and a pineapple. Trudy had just split up with her boyfriend and wanted to do something stupid so Ted said "Do me". Ted gets Trudy's number and rings her and tell her to come on over to his apartment. He wakes up in the morning not knowing who she is and tells Robin to come on over as he had been leaving her some weird messages on her phone whilst inebriated. He then proceeds to prove to Robin that he is over her and tells Trudy to come out but she left through the fire escape. He meets up again with Trudy in Third Wheel where the show implies that he might have had a three-way with Trudy and her former sorority sister.
- Natalie - Ted was in a long-term relationship with Natalie in the past (takes place before first season). Ted decided that she wasn't the one and decided to break up with her. The day he broke up with her coincidentally turned out to be her birthday. To make the situation worse, Ted broke up with her through a message left on her answering machine, a message which was heard by a group of Natalie's friends who were waiting at her house to throw her a surprise party. In 2005, Ted decided to give Natalie another try and began dating her again for a few weeks, only to decide that she still "isn't the one". Ted breaks up with her again on, what happened to be, her birthday.
- Victoria - Ted met Victoria at the wedding of his friends Claudia and Stewart. As a way to keep the night "untarnished" they both promise not to reveal their last names to each other; Ted only knew her as "Victoria, the girl with snowflakes on her shoes." After a perfect night together, Ted returned home, and later became determined to find out who Victoria is. He found out via Claudia, the bride of the wedding, that the wedding cake was made by the Buttercup Bakery - "Buttercup" being an alias Victoria initially used. Ted went to the bakery that night and finds Victoria working there, and their relationship began. Two months after dating, Victoria left the job for a two-year culinary fellowship in Germany. This educational experience led to the downfall of her and Ted's relationship. They attempted to continue their relationship long-distance, only for it to end when Ted cheated on her with Robin, an incident which also nearly ended the friendship between Robin and Ted.
- Robin Scherbatsky - Ted and Robin meet and go on a date in Season 1, but after Ted professes his love for her at the end of the night she breaks up with him, saying that they're completely wrong for each other because he wants marriage and she doesn't. They later get together in the final episode of Season 1 and break up during the events of the third-to-last episode of the Season 2. However, due to Marshall and Lily's wedding, they do not tell anyone and only reveal the breakup to Barney at the reception in the episode Something Blue (season finale). They remain friends and are seen, via flash forward, dancing at James and Tom's wedding, which should occur sometime in Season 3.
- Stella - Stella is a doctor who Ted meets when he is trying to get his tattoo removed. He likes her, but when he asks her out she immediately says no, under the pretense that she can't date patients. He later finds out that she has a daughter named Lucy, which is why she can't have another "special person" in her life. However due to Ted's proposal in the season 3 finale 'Miracles', it is possible that she is the mother that the show is named for, which is corroborated by the fact that she was present in the St Patrick's Day party, which future Ted said was where he first met his wife. Though in Rebound Bro, Ted meets Stella's daughter and she is blond, whereas future Ted's daughter is darked-haired. Lucy would be his step-child if he'd married Stella though. Also, future Ted does not say "and that kids is how I met your mother" as he said a few times before as a prank to scare his future children. It is revealed during the episode The Chain of Screaming that Ted and Stella are still dating and she attends his surprise 30th birthday party on his roof. It is revealed in the episode Rebound Bro that Stella has not had sex in 5 years. In season 4 episode 1, we learn that Stella and Ted are engaged.