The was an army of the Imperial Japanese Army during the final days of World War II.
The Japanese 36th Army was formed on 21 July 1944
under the Japanese 12th Area Army
as part of the last desperate defense effort by the Empire of Japan
to counter the projected invasion of the Japanese capital region by Allied forces
during Operation Downfall
. It was based in Urawa city
, Saitama prefecture
to the north of the Tokyo
metropolitan area, from which it could be used to reinforce units to either the north or south of Tokyo as necessary.
The Japanese 36th Army consisted mostly of poorly-trained reservists, conscripted students and home guard militia. It was demobilized at the surrender of Japan on 15 August 1945 without having seen combat.
List of Commanders
- Drea, Edward J. (1998). In the Service of the Emperor: Essays on the Imperial Japanese Army. University of Nebraska Press. ISBN 0-8032-1708-0.
- Frank, Richard B (1999). Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire. New York: Random House. ISBN 0-679-41424-X.
- Jowett, Bernard (1999). The Japanese Army 1931-45 (Volume 2, 1942-45). Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1841763543.
- Madej, Victor (1981). Japanese Armed Forces Order of Battle, 1937-1945. Game Publishing Company. ASIN: B000L4CYWW.
- Marston, Daniel (2005). The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. Osprey Publishing. ISBN 1841768820.
- Skates, John Ray (1994). The Invasion of Japan: Alternative to the Bomb Downfall. New York: University of South Carolina Press. ISBN 0-87249-972-3.