Gringley-On-The-Hill, Nottinghamshire, is an English village and parish. It is on the highest part of the road from Bawtry to Gainsborough, six miles east-south-east of the former, and the same distance west by north of the latter town.
From its situation on the loftiest of the promontories which overlook the wide extent of Misson and Misterton Carrs, it commands such extensive prospects, that the minster of Lincoln may be seen from it on a clear day, across the vale of the Trent, whilst in the nearer distance, the Chesterfield Canal appears emerging from the tunnel at Drakeholes, and winding under the long ridge of hills which extends eastward to the Trent.
The English Heritage National Monuments Record includes three sites located in the village, as well as the church. These are the site of a prehistoric hillfort at Beacon Hill, the stump of a medieval market cross and a four-storey tower windmill dating from 1830.
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul is of Norman construction, with a later Perpendicular tower . Of note is an Early English pillar piscina, a free-standing bowl for washing the communion vessels .
A brick tower windmill was built at Gringley c. 1830, replacing a post mill on the same site. The four-storey tower was derelict by 1977.
1Archaeology Data Service http://ads.ahds.ac.uk