is a name of Hispanic origin.
Ochoa was originally a given name in medieval Spain. It originated in the Basque Country and meant the wolf (in Standard Basque, otsoa). There was also a female given name Ochanda. The Spanish version of this Basque given name was Lope.
Ochoa became a surname as a patronymic. It does not have the -ez suffix as do other Spanish patronymics due to the Basque origin of the name. Lope for example became a surname as López.
From the Basque Country it spread to the rest of Spain, Portugal and then to the Americas. In modern Basque the surname is spelled as Otxoa. About a 25% of the Spanish Ochoa's still live in the Basque area of Spain (Basque Country and Navarre).
The name may refer to:
- Alex Ochoa (1972–), American baseball player
- Angel Ochoa (1989–), Mexican football player
- Arnaldo Ochoa (1930–1989), Cuban army general, executed for treason
- Baltazar Hinojosa Ochoa (1930–), Mexican politician, mayor of Matamoros, Tamaulipas
- Carlos Ochoa (1978–), Mexican football player
- Digna Ochoa (1964–2001), Mexican human-rights lawyer
- Eduardo López Ochoa (1877–1936), Spanish army general, Africanist, and Freemason
- Eliades Ochoa (1946–), Cuban guitarisst and singer
- Ellen Ochoa (1958–), American astronaut
- Eugenio de Ochoa (1815–1872), Spanish author and translator
- Fabio Ochoa Restrepo (a.k.a. "Don Fabio") (1923–2002), Colombian businessman, father of the Ochoa brothers
- Francisco Fernández Ochoa (1950–2006), Spanish alpine skier
- Francisco Labastida Ochoa (1942–), Mexican economist and politician
- Guillermo Ochoa (a.k.a. "Paco Memo") (1985–), Mexican football player
- Javier Otxoa (1974–), Spanish cyclist
- Jesús Ochoa (1981–), Mexican-American football player
- Lorena Ochoa (1981–), Mexican golfer
- Mariana Ochoa (1979–), Mexican actress and singer
- Ryan Ochoa (1980–), Colombian-American successfull entrepreneur
- Ochoa brothers, former members of the Medellin drug cartel
- Severo Ochoa (1905–1993), Spanish-American biochemist, Nobel Prize winner
- Chris Ochoa (1993-),Legendary defensive tackler for the East Meadow Jets
- Ochoa syndrome, rare congenital syndrome associated with facial expressions and hydronephrosis