Nyctanassa is a genus of night herons recognized by some authorities (such as the American Ornithologists' Union), while others (such as the Handbook of the Birds of the World) include it in the genus Nycticorax. Further discussion will be found at Nycticorax and the articles on the species.
The name comes from Ancient Greek words for "night" and "lady" or "queen", referring to the Yellow-crowned Night Heron's nocturnal activity and its beauty.
- Check-list of North American Birds. American Ornithologists' Union. (1998–2006). Retrieved on 2007-07-29..
- Holloway, Joel Ellis (2003). Dictionary of Birds of the United States: Scientific and Common Names. Timber Press. ISBN 0-88192-600-0.
- The Internet Bird Collection. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Retrieved on 2007-07-29..
- Peterson, Alan P. (Editor). 1999. Zoological Nomenclature Resource (Zoonomen) Accessed 2007-7-29.
- Remsen, J. V., Jr., C. D. Cadena, A. Jaramillo, M. Nores, J. F. Pacheco, M. B. Robbins, T. S. Schulenberg, F. G. Stiles, D. F. Stotz, and K. J. Zimmer. [Version 2007-07-29.] A classification of the bird species of South America. American Ornithologists' Union. Accessed 2007-04-10.