Banana bread (also called Banana nut bread) is a type of bread that contains mashed yellow bananas. Banana bread is usually a quick bread, a sweet, cake like-bread which typically uses baking soda as the leavening agent instead of yeast; however there are some banana bread recipes that are traditional style yeast breads.
Vegan variants of banana bread typically use egg substitutes such as soy yogurt, tofu or, more simply, additional banana. In some recipes for banana bread, egg is the only non-vegan ingredient, making the creation of vegan banana bread fairly straightforward.
Banana bread first became a standard feature of American cookbooks
with the popularization of baking soda
and baking powder
in the 1930s (and appears in Pillsbury
's 1933 Balanced Recipes
cookbook). The origin of the first banana bread recipe is unknown. The home baking revival of the 1960s and the simplicity of its recipe led to an explosion in banana bread's popularity. The cookbooks of the 1960s added to its popularity because they commonly listed multiple variations of bread that added fruits and nuts.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed banana (3 medium)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Grease a bread loaf pan and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg, bananas, sugar, oil and lemon zest.
- Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just till moist. Fold in nuts, if desired.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes (or convection bake at 330 for 40 minutes). Bread is done when a knife or toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Optional: You can also sprinkle brown sugar and/or chopped pecans on top of the bread before cooking, for added tastiness.
- Banana nut bread - chopped nuts, often walnuts or pecans, are added to the recipe.
- Chocolate chip banana bread - chocolate chips are added to the recipe.
- Other variations: try adding raisins, or substituting nutmeg for cinnamon