Bremanger church (Bremanger kyrkje) is a wooden "long church" in Bremanger village on the island of Bremangerlandet in the municipality of Bremanger, Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. The church is a part of the Bremanger prestegjeld in the Nordfjord deanery of the Diocese of Bjørgvin. It was called Bremangerpollen chapel until 1952.
The church is located at Hauge, in the innermost part of the bay of Bremangerpollen in the municipality of Bremanger. The church, with a seating capacity of 400, was consecrated on 4 September 1914 by the bishop Johan Willoch Erichsen. The contractor Anders Karlsen Eid made the designs. Bremanger church is a main church for the Bremanger "sokn" (sub-parish) in the parish of Bremanger.
Since the church at Grotle was torn down in 1865, the people living in the northern part Bremangerlandet
island had been without a church of their own. The people who lived further north on the island complained that the journey to church had become too long and strenuous. Going by boat around Novene was often a risky undertaking, which kept people from going to church. The people felt that if they got a church in their own village, many more people would get the opportunity to listen to the words of the Lord
. These people, even the Vicar
, had to eventually yield to such a strong argument, and so the work was started in the 1890s to erect a new church in the village of Hauge. The farms between Vetvik and Nøtset were separated from the main "sokn"
(sub-parish) of Frøya
and a new church was built at Hauge, in the innermost part of the bay of Bremangerpollen. The Bremangerpollen parish was established from 1 July 1908 and a few days later a "bedehus"
) was consecrated
for church functions. From the village of Vetvik the journey to church was still more than long enough, and for those who chose not to go by boat, the alternative was a three-hour hike across the mountain.