North Miami Beach (commonly referred to as NMB) is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. Originally named Fulford in 1926 after Captain William H. Fulford of the United States Coast Guard, the city was incorporated in 1927 as Fulford, but was renamed North Miami Beach in 1931. The population was 40,786 at the 2000 census. As of 2005, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 39,921.
North Miami Beach is located at . According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 13.7 km² (5.3 mi²). 12.8 km² (5.0 mi²) of it is land and 0.9 km² (0.3 mi²) of it (6.43%) is water.
Although the North Miami Beach boundaries once stretched to the Atlantic Ocean, this city on the Intracoastal Waterway no longer has any beaches within its city limits, although they are a short distance away across the inlet.
There were 13,987 households out of which 37.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.3% were married couples living together, 19.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 23.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.89 and the average family size was 3.44.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 91.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,377, and the median income for a family was $35,047. Males had a median income of $26,278 versus $22,110 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,699. About 18.4% of families and 20.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.1% of those under age 18 and 18.2% of those age 65 or over.
As of 2000, English was the first language for 38.50% of all residents, while Spanish accounted for 31.97%, French Creole comprised of 19.32%, French made up 2.33%, Chinese was totaled at 1.55%, Portuguese totaled 1.20%, Hebrew was at 0.87%, Russian at 0.65%, Yiddish spoken by 0.56%, and Italian was the mother tongue for 0.52% of the population.
As of 2000, North Miami Beach had the fourth highest percentage of Haitian residents in the US, with 19.9% of the US populace. It had the forty-seventh highest percentage of Colombian residents in the US, at 2.83% of the city's population, and the sixty-seventh highest percentage of Cuban residents in the US, at 4.92% of the city's population. It also had the sixtieth most Dominicans in the US, at 2.39% (tied with Virginia Gardens,) while it had the twenty-ninth highest percentage of Bahamians (tied with Munford, Alabama,) at 1.1% of all residents. North Miami Beach's Jamaican community had the twenty-first highest percentage of residents, which was at 5.5% of all residents. It's also home to the twenty-eighth highest percentage of Peruvian residents in the US, at 1.8% of the population (tied with Richmond West.)
North Miami Beach has a large middle class Haitian community, and it is also known as the business center of Miami-Dade's small Indian American, Indo-Caribbean, Indo-Caribbean American and Chinese American communities.
The name Baker's Haulover is presumed to derive from a man named Baker who hauled small boats over the isthmus between ocean and bay. The name appeared on a map as early as 1823. There is a State of Florida Historical Landmark Marker (over 50 years old) at the original Lighthouse Dock site dedicated on February 21, 2004, to the first charter-boat captains at the 1926-1951 dock. It is the first and only marker in the State of Florida for a fishing dock. There is still a charter-boat fishing fleet there.
North Miami Beach also has an authentic Medieval Spanish monastery, the St. Bernard de Clairvaux Church. This stone building around a patio, the cloisters of the Monastery of St. Bernard de Clairvaux, was built in Sacramenia, Segovia, Spain in the 12th century. It was purchased by William Randolph Hearst in the 1920s, dismantled and shipped to the United States, and reassembled after Hearst's death in North Miami Beach in the 1950s. It is a tourism attraction and a popular spot for weddings.
Public Elementary Schools
Public Middle School
Public High School
North Miami Beach Mayor Joins Get Smart Kids Academy to Commemorate Student Achievements and Recognition for Having Higher Standards in Preschool Education.
Mar 24, 2012; The students at Get Smart Kids Academy (1550 NE 147th St, North Miami Beach, FL 33161) were surprised and excited this morning by...
North Miami Beach soliciting vendors, musicians and performers for first annual Community Festival on Hanford Boulevard
Jan 24, 2008; Over 10,000 people expected to attend this one day street festival NORTH MIAMI BEACH, FL - The City of North Miami Bench will...