(1965 - January 3, 1990) who rose to power in the late 1980s, was one of the most infamous New York City drug kingpins. In the same league with Rich Porter should be noted his cohorts: Alberto "Alpo" Martinez
and Azie Faison
. The film "Paid in Full
" is loosely based on the trio's account.
Unlike his low-key counterpart Azie Faison, Porter was known for his flamboyance and high-profile lifestyle. Porter did deals everywhere in the tri-state area from New York to Connecticut to Pennsylvania. He had a small crew in New Haven, Connecticut with leaders of the "Jungle Boyz" Thomas Boykin Sr. and a local guy named Shabazz who made millions getting coke from Porter in the mid-1980s. He started selling drugs when he was 12 and by time he was 16 owned a brand new BMW (his first car, with many more to come). It was rumored that he never wore the same outfit twice and kept a garage in Manhattan filled with dozens of luxury cars. This trio also did many dealings with mafioso Ian "E.N." Saporita, before he was shot and killed in front of a bodega in Harlem. Rich Porter was murdered by Alberto "Alpo" Martinez and an accomplice on or around the night of January 3, 1990 over drug money that Porter was supposed to have owed to "Alpo". Alpo was arrested and convicted on several charges, including the murder of Porter. With his "back against the wall," Alpo cooperated with authorities as an informant, a desperate attempt to minimize his time behind bars. He also did a phone interview for the first time describing his rise to the top as a concrete-jungle drug lord and the "murder game" that came with the territory. During the phone interview from jail with DJ Kayslay, he said that if he could change one thing it would be killing his friend Rich(Porter).
- "I'm from where the real hustlers pile dough, the home of Rich Rich Porter, Azie, Alpo..." - Big L
- I know the real Rich, the real Richie Porter R.I.P. he left the hood to us we own the corners. " - Jim Jones
- "I'm from where...Rich and A hit the kitchen they were pitchin up" -Cam'ron
- "Uptown was Alpo, son, heard he was kingpin" -Nas
- "Yo rest in peace to Rich and Ron, money what they was about yo, the twins was from Queens but got crazy cream with Alpo" -50 Cent
- "I'm out of order, I turn your only daughter, into a transporter, Before I die, I'm gonna see more blow than Rich Porter" - 50 Cent
- "And Alpo ordered guys to slaughter guys, and the whole Harlem was in tears when Rich Porter died." - Cam'ron
- "Now I'm up on Lennox Ave, movin out all the coke that Rich had." -Jim Jones
- "I don't wanna be like Mike, more like Po and Porter gettin shipments at the border." - Shyne
- "Niggas like chips to get it like Rich/ I would've said Alpo, but that n*gga's a snitch" - Jim Jones
- "It ain't about Rich and 'Po, n*gga, it's bout rich and po'." - Jay Z
- "One-three-two Uptown, when Rich Porter told me, See you can push a new car, it's different for a rap star; And AZ was givin 50s to the homeless, They never bragged about it – "L, we don't condone this/ On the back of the bike with Alpo, Doin a buck down one-two-five, hopin to stay alive.. Favorite spot rooftop..." LL Cool J
- "You need practice with packages, ya stacks is stackin' up shorter. Crack heads say I give 'em flashbacks of Rich Porter" - J.R. Writer
- "The twin brother of Rich Porter separated at birth." - Jay-Z
- "New Rich Porter, the way I flip quarters." -Jay-Z
- "He get respect like rich and po', Fuck a 9 to 5, I'd rather wake up and spit bars." -The Game
- "Little brothers ring fingers get cut up to show mothers they really got em." - Jay Z
- "Now lets ride (to where), to Harlem, the Westside I show you blocks and murals, dawg where some of the best died (Like who...like who?) Like Porter and them I heard Po put the order on him, now that's more than a friend.."-Jim Jones
- " Rich Porter is ma nigga.-Ceeza ceez
- "Scarface Dreams,Escobar wish's,Rich Porter Swag death to all snitchs"-Juelz Santana."
- "I'm Rich like Porter, having Alpo nightmares whipping that border" - The Game (LAX CD. Money)."