(名瀬市; -shi) was a city
located on Amami Ōshima
. On March 20
, the city merged with a town and village to form the new city of Amami
As of 2003, the city had an estimated population of 41,778 and the density of 327.31 persons per km². The total area was 127.64 km².
The city was founded on July 1, 1946.