Courthouse and Jail Rocks are two rock formations located near Bridgeport, Nebraska.
The Oregon-California Trail, the Mormon Trail, the Pony Express Trail and the Sidney-Deadwood Trail all ran near the rocks. The pair of rock formations served as a landmark along the trails for many pioneers traveling west in the 1800s. Many travelers would stray as much as five miles (8 km) from the Oregon Trail just to get a glimpse of the rocks.
Hundreds of westward-bound emigrants mentioned Courthouse Rock in their travel logs and journals. The name "Courthouse" was first used in 1837. In 1845, one traveler described the rock as "resembling the ruins of an old castle [which] rises abruptly from the plain....It is difficult to look upon it and not believe that art had something to do with its construction. The voyagers have called it the Courthouse; but it looks infinitely more like the Capitol."
Courthouse and Jail Rocks, which rise 400 feet (121 m) above the North Platte Valley, are composed of clay, sandstone and volcanic ash. The rock formations are listed in the National Register of Historic Places and in the Nebraska Natural Areas Register.
Committee supports juvenile system change ; Bill at a glanceThe Senate Judiciary Committee voted Wednesday to support Senate File 66, which would authorize $2 million to fund the boards that would create locally designed and controlled systems for dealing with children in trouble. The bill now heads to the full Senate for consideration.
Feb 14, 2008; Senate File 66 would authorize $2M to fund the boards that would create local systems for dealing with children in trouble. By...