Born January 18, 1874 in Lyons, New York, he served as the CEO and chairman of the United States Steel Corporation between 1932 and 1938. He graduated from Cornell University in 1894 and donated money to build Myron C. Taylor Hall where the Cornell Law School now exists.
In 1938 he represented the United States at the Evian Conference. During World War II he served as an emissary to the Holy See for Presidents Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Harry S Truman. He died on May 6, 1959.