The mill was last worked in 1947 by Mr Fred Mutton (hence the name Muttons Mill) and was used to drain the surrounding marshland into the Halvergate Fleet. The mill is now in private ownership and in 1984 a new cap and six bladed fantail followed by one pair of patent sails in 1998. The mill's restored fantail was blown off the mill in 2005, however it has since been replaced during 2008.
The fantail has been repaired and refitted in the autumn of 2007.
Mutton Dressed as Glam. Prince Charles Has Joined Forces with a Host of Top Chefs to Make Mutton - Currently Considered Lamb's Poor Relation - the Pride of the British Table Once Again
Apr 06, 2003; Byline: TOM PARKER BOWLES Photographs by Nicky Johnston Ten days ago, the Prince of Wales hosted a dinner at his Highgrove...