Mukacheve, Czech Mukačevo, Hung. Munkács, Rus. Mukachevo, city (1989 pop. 85,000), SW Ukraine. It is a rail terminus and highway junction and has food, tobacco, beer, wine, furniture, textile, and timber industries. From the 9th to the 11th cent., Mukacheve was part of the Kievan state. Taken by the Hungarians in 1018, it became a dominion center of the Hungarian kings. It later (15th cent.) developed as a prominent trade and craft center. Part of the Transylvanian duchy from the 16th cent., Mukacheve then came under Austrian control and was made a key fortress of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Mukacheve passed to Czechoslovakia in 1919, was under German-Hungarian occupation from 1938 to 1944, and was ceded to the Ukrainian SSR (now Ukraine) in 1945. The city's architectural landmarks include a castle and a monastery (both 14th cent.) and a wooden church built in the Ukrainian architectural style (18th cent.).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia Copyright © 2004.
Licensed from Columbia University Press