(1774-1853) was an English schoolmaster and divine. Born in London
he was educated at Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
, where he afterwards became fellow, in the capacity first of mathematical
lecturer, and afterwards of classical
tutor. He was elected a public examiner of the university
in 1804, and in the following year was one of the select preachers. As head master of Harrow
(1805-1829) his all-round knowledge, his tact and his skill as an athlete
rendered his administration successful and popular. On his retirement he settled down at Gayton, Northamptonshire
, a living
which had been presented to him by his college in 1814. In 1836 he became chancellor
of the diocese of Peterborough
, and in 1842 was appointed dean
. His few publications include some notes of Harrow, entitled Harrow, a Selection of Lists of the School between 1770 and 1828
His eldest son, also named George Butler (1819-1890), was principal of Liverpool College (1866-1882) and canon of Winchester. In 1852 he married Josephine Elizabeth, daughter of John Grey of Dilston. Mrs Butler was a noted campaigner for the welfare of prostitutes.
His youngest son was the Rev. Dr Henry Montagu Butler, who also became head master of Harrow.