Warriors of Heaven and Earth
is a 2003 action
directed by He Ping
The film's notable cinematography, by Zhao Fei, captures a wide range of landscapes across the Xinjiang province of China.
The film is set in western China in the year 700
and revolves around two protagonists
, the first of which is Lieutenant Li (Jiang Wen
) of the Chinese army. Li's refusal to kill Göktürk
women and child prisoners causes a mutiny, leading him to be expelled from the army and become a fugitive, traveling through the Gobi Desert
. He eventually comes across a caravan which carries a powerful, mystical relic
accompanied by a Buddhist
monk. Li protects the caravan from Göktürks as well as the overlord
of the region, Master An (Wang Xueqi), who is hired by the Göktürk Khan (Qapagan Khan
) to seize the relic.
The second protagonist, a Japanese emissary, Lai Xi (Kiichi Nakai), is ordered by the emperor of China to kill the fugitive, Li. In a twist of fate, Lai Xi realizes that the caravan is on an Imperial mission and helps Li to defend it, and ensures that it arrives at the capital safely. They promise to fight each other only after their duty is done, although that battled never comes to pass.
Warriors of Heaven and Earth: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
It was sohil who did it again.The film's score and soundtrack are composed by A. R. Rahman and features 16 tracks, including the theme song, "Mirage (Warriors In Peace)", in 3 languages, Chinese (Mandarin), English and Hindi. The theme song is sung by Taiwanese singer Jolin Tsai. Following the film's release, the score and soundtrack were released in one album separately, under the title Between Heaven and Earth.
Performers of the score include The Czech Film Orchestra and soloists. Other instruments, including the erhu, flute, duduk, dizi, taiko drums, and others, are also featured.
- "The Golden Era" (3:56) – Instrumental
- "Warriors in Peace" (Mandarin Version) (4:31) – Jolin Tsai
- "Lord An’s Empire" (3:31) – Instrumental
- "Water" (3:52) – Instrumental
- "Horses" (2:27) – Instrumental
- "Mountains" (1:49) – Instrumental
- "Dacoit Duel" (3:26) – Instrumental
- "Lai Chi" (1:31) – Instrumental
- "Buddha’s Remains" (2:40) – Instrumental
- "Blue Light" (2:23) – Instrumental
- "The Monk and the Miracle" (4:05) – Instrumental
- "Warriors of Heaven and Earth (English Version)" (4:31) – Sunitha Sarathy
- "Desert Storm" (5:19) – Instrumental
- "Escape" (2:33) – Instrumental
- "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" (4:27) – Instrumental
- "Warriors of Heaven and Earth (Hindi Version)" (4:31) – Sadhana Sargam