The Asociación de Scouts de Cuba (ASC, Scout Association of Cuba) was the national Scouting organization of Cuba from 1927 to 1961. Scouting in Cuba started in 1914, in 1927 the ASC was founded and became a member of the World Organization of the Scout Movement the same year and was suspended from WOSM membership in 1961. At the end of the 1950s, the boys-only association had about 6,500 members.
Salvador Fernández Beltrán D.J.C. of Matanzas was among the first in the Americas to receive Wood Badge training, at Gilwell Park, England. He was the first to receive honorary appointment as Deputy Camp Chief of Gilwell. With this influence, the Scouts of Cuba began to use short trousers like those worn by the English. Fernandez Beltrán was known for his work within the Scouts of Cuba, as well as assisting in the creation of the InterAmerican Scout Office, the divisional office of the World Scout Bureau of the World Organization of the Scout Movement, founded and maintained with headquarters in Havana from 1946 to 1960. At the beginning of the 1960s Fernandez Beltrán was appointed to the office of Deputy Secretary of the World Organization of the Scout Movement in Geneva, Switzerland. He retired to Venezuela where he died in 1987.
In 1954, for the 40th anniversary of their foundation, the Scouts of Cuba celebrated with the Third National Jamboree Tercer Campamento Nacional de Patrullas in Wajay, Havana Province, attended by more than 1000 Scouts, including several neighboring countries. For this celebration, the Ministry of Communications issued Scout postage stamps.
In 1956, under the leadership of Serafín Garcia Menocal, President of the Consejo Nacional Scouts de Cuba (National Council), the Scouts of Cuba bought the national training grounds Campo Escuela Nacional Mayabeque at Mayabeque, in the margins of the river of the same name, near Catalina de Güines in Havana Province within 50 km of the capital. The National Camp School was dedicated to the training of Scouters and for Scout camping. The Field School was abandoned in 1961, and at the moment is under the water of Mampostón reservoir.
Scouting existed in Cuba itself until the 1960s, when Cuban Scouting ceased operations after the Cuban revolution of 1959. Cuban Scouts rendered service during those times, directing traffic, collecting rations, helping in hospitals and establishing first aid stations. In 1961, the World Scout Conference terminated the WOSM membership claiming that the ASC had ceased to exist. The last National Chief Scouts were Virgilio Morales Díaz and Doctor José Borrel Tudurí, along with Doctor Celina Cardoso, President and Secretary of the National Council. Kenneth Symington of Cañal was the last National Executive Commissioner.
REPRESENTACIONES DEL CAMPO INTELECTUAL Y LITERARIO EN LAS INICIALES DE LA TIERRA Y LAS PALABRAS PERDIDAS DE JESÚS DÍAZ
Jul 01, 2007; Representations of intellectual field and literary field in Las iniciales de la tierra and Las palabras perdidas by Jesús Díaz...