Mongrel refers to mixed ancestry:
- Among pets, one whose parentage is of unknown or mixed breeds as opposed to purebred.
- Among dogs, this is also called a mutt or a mixed-breed dog. Owners of mixed-breeds in the USA refer to their dogs as "All American" when involved in competitive sports.
- A mongrel cat is referred to as a moggy in Australia and the United Kingdom.
- "Mongrel" is a derogatory epithet in Australia. It is generally used to refer to an ill-bred man; a man of poor manners or morals.
- In the Philippines, they are referred to as "Askal" which is short for "Asong Kalye", literally meaning street dog.
- "Mongrelism" is a term coined by Manawatu Turbos captain Hayden Triggs, which means to play in a style with more aggression