Two famous battles took place there:
These battles represented the beginning and end, respectively, of the Ottoman domination of Hungary.
In Roman times there was a camp on the banks of the Danube near Mohács.
In the medieval Kingdom of Hungary, Mohács was part of the historical Baranya county, and during Ottoman rule it was the administrative seat of the Sanjak of Mohács, an Ottoman administrative unit. After the Habsburgs took the area from the Ottomans, Mohács was included in the restored Baranya county.
In 1910, the population of the Mohács municipality numbered 56,909 people, of whom 21,951 spoke German, 20,699 Hungarian, 4,312 Serbian, and 421 Croatian. Another 9,600 inhabitants were listed as speaking "other languages" (presumably Bunjevac and Šokac).