The opening of the Bute & Mwyndy iron ore works during the 1850s had a huge impact on the small hamlet of New Mill. The census of 1861 shows that New Mill had become a village. Its population was now 83 people divided in 17 households, of these 83 residents 17 were iron ore miners. By the early 1870s New Mill had become the village of Miskin, with the village centre being based around the inn, which is now The Miskin Arms pub.
A church has stood at the location of the current St David's church since 1878. Originally of corrugated iron construction, it was replaced by the current stone church in 1906-7.The land on which the church was built was owned by the Williams family, but they declined to donate the land to the church.
Funds for the building of the church were raised by public donations and events, notably the Grand Fete at Miskin Manor which raised over £1,000. The church was licensed on 23rd December 1907 and later consecrated by Right Rev Timothy Rees, Bishop of Llandaff, on Sunday 23rd April 1933.
In addition to St David's church, the is also a large Roman Catholic church, All Hallows, located on the ourskirts of the village.
The Miskin Mill site has been the location of a water driven corn mill for most of the last 400 years. Since 1929 it has been used by the Scouting movement for camping and training.