Is an Irish
name derived from the Irish word for a monk.
This surname is an anglicized form of the Old Gaelic O Muineog. The Gaelic prefix "O" indicates "male descendant of", plus the personal byname Muineog, believed to be a diminutive of "Manach", monk. Sept originated in East County Clare and the townland of Ballyminogue in the parish of Tuamgraney marks the centre of its location. Linked to the name Mannix
Famous people bearing the surname include:
- Brendan Minogue, Brother of Dannii and Kylie
- Craig Minogue, an Australian prisoner, convicted for the 1986 bombing of the Russell Street Police Headquarters;
- Dan Minogue, an Australian rules footballer;
- Daniel Minogue, Australian politician;
- Dannii Minogue, Australian singer-songwriter, television personality and occasional actress, model and fashion designer;
- Kenneth Minogue, an Emeritus Professor of Political Science at the London School of Economics;
- Kylie Minogue, Australian, pop singer, songwriter and actress.