It is the county seat of Nassau County. Offices of many Nassau agencies are located both in the southern portion of the village and neighboring Garden City, New York. The Village of Mineola is in both the Town of Hempstead and the Town of North Hempstead.
Long Island was part of Henry Hudson's original claim in the name of the Dutch East India Company dating as far back as 1609. In the 18th century the Dutch and English settlers worked to clear farmland to start their life on the Hempstead Plains. It was in 1858 when this land was named after an Algonquin Indian Chief, Miniolagamika meaning, "Pleasant Village." The name was later shortened and altered to "Mineola."
Mineola was legally incorporated in 1906 and run by a president. The president and Trustees worked to meet the needs of the growing community and later became the judicial and legislative heart of Nassau County. The County Seat found its home in Mineola on July 13, 1900, as Governor Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone of the Nassau County Court House. A celebration was held to commemorate this momentous occasion on the barren five-acre site at the corner of Old Country Road and Franklin Avenue. Many dignitaries were present to witness this history-making event such as, Frederick Hicks, Congressman Townsend Scudder, Colonel William Youngs and Supervisors William Jones and Edwin Willits.
Winthrop-University Hospital, founded in 1896 by local physicians and residents as Nassau Hospital, was Long Island's first voluntary hospital. In 1897, it admitted 91 patients, performed 27 operations, and reported two births and eight deaths during the first year. The original hospital was constructed in 1900. Today, Winthrop is a nationally-recognized award-winning hospital and in 2004 was ranked among the Top 5 Percent of Acute-Care Hospitals in the Country.
Mineola was also a familiar place to many of the most famous pilots in history. The Wright Brothers, Igor Sikorsky, Captain Rene Fonac, and the famed duo of Clarence Chamberlain and Bert Acosta, dubbed "twins of derring-do," all spent time in Mineola taking advantage of the rolling grasslands and favorable winds.
On November 1 1915, Captain Raynal Cawthorne Bolling -- a prominent New York attorney working at United States Steel -- organized the Aviation Detachment, lst Battalion, Signal Corps of the New York National Guard 106 Rescue Wing. It was the Guard's first genuine aviation unit. Subsequently, the organization was redesignated the lst Aero Company. Located at Mineola on Long Island, the unit rented and then purchased its own aircraft with funds donated by the Aero Club of America and other contributors. It was "provisionally recognized" on June 22 1916 and then called into federal service on July 13 1916 during the Mexican border crisis. However, instead of active service in the southwest, it remained at Mineola training and was released from federal service on November 2 1916.
On May 20, 1927, at 7:52 a.m., Charles Lindbergh started his historic flight from nearby Roosevelt Field. Thirty-three hours later he landed in Paris and became the first person to complete a solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean from the United States.
Main Street was the center of village business as well as a popular meeting place for farmers and the business community alike. The general store offered an array of goods that would fulfill most everyday needs, such as hardware, toys, wool, dry goods, clothing and food. The small glass-fronted mail and delivery boxes filled the existing six-foot post office. As the Mineola population grew, the post office was relocated to the Meyer Building on Mineola Boulevard and then twice more to 3rd Street and 2nd Street. It eventually found its permanent home on 1st Street and Main Street.
Mineola's first theatre named Allen's Hall drew in many early moviegoers to see "the flickers." Motion picture success drew in other theaters to the area, the most lavish being the Century Opera House. Most theaters had a showing in the morning and in the evening, usually featuring a live pianist who kept up with the action of the movie while playing music that suited the story.
As years passed, Jericho Turnpike became the commercial "main street," farmland was sold off, and homes and offices were built. Mineola has continued to be a community of growth and development.
Mineola held its centennial celebration in 2006.
Board of Trustees
The legislative body of the village, the board of trustees, is composed of the mayor and four trustees. Each member is elected to a two-year term. The board is charged with management of village property and finances, and may take all measures under the law for the good government of the village. The trustees may adopt a wide range of local laws to address village concerns.
Mayor Jack Martins
Deputy Mayor Lawrence Werther
Trustee Thomas Kennedy
Trustee Paul Cusato
Trustee Paul Pereira
The Mineola Hotel burned down in 1966 as the result of arson. One man was killed.
Mineola is home to very large Portuguese, and more recently Brazilian communities, and has been for years. Portuguese and Brazilian restaurants and businesses are a common feature throughout the neighborhood.
In 2005/2006, As a result of numerous recommendations from the community that Mineola increase its police protection and presence, and in order to protect and improve the residents’ quality of life, a Mineola Police Task Force was appointed by Mayor Jack M. Martins to evaluate the feasibility of withdrawing from the Nassau County Police Department and establishing a Village police force.
The Mayor indicated to the Task Force at its inception that if the feasibility study resulted in a positive report, Mineola would only have its own police department if the residents approved such through a Village-wide referendum.
The village board was split 3-2 in favor of the Police Force with Mayor Jack Martins, Deputy Mayor Werther and Trustee Davanzo supporting it while Trustees Fargrieve and Cusato opposed it.
Mineola is also home to Chaminade High School
Mayor Martins and Trustees Werther and Davanzo were overwhelmingly re-elected in March 2007. Mayor Martins defeated Trustee Fargrieve by a wide margin and Hometown party candidate Peggy May was unable to garner enough votes to defeat either Werther or Davanzo. This suggests that the Hometown party was unable to capitalize on the defeat of the ill conceived village police force proposal. 1
In June 2007, the Village Board unanimously voted to pay for a complete reassessment of village property values. The reasoning is that the widening divergence between the county and village property roles is causing Tax certiorari challenges among commercial properties. By reassessing properties to bring assessments more in line with the counties, the village hopes to reduce, and hopefully eliminate certiorari challenges and freeze the current tax split between commercial and residential at 50/50. 2
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.8 km²), all of it land.
There were 7,473 households out of which 27.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.2% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.7% were non-families. 29.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the village the population was spread out with 20.2% under the age of 18, 7.4% from 18 to 24, 34.1% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $60,706, and the median income for a family was $71,042. Males had a median income of $47,182 versus $37,057 for females. The per capita income for the village was $28,890. About 2.6% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.5% of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.