A mesh is a flat, semi-permeable barrier made of connected strands of metal, fiber, or other flexible/ductile material. Mesh is similar to web or net in that it has many attached or woven strands.
Types of mesh
- A plastic mesh is extruded, oriented, expanded or tubular. Plastic mesh can be made from polypropylene, polyethylene, nylon, PVC or PTFE.
- A metal mesh can be woven, welded, expanded, photo-chemically etched or electroformed (screen filter) from steel or other metals.
- In clothing, a mesh is often defined as a loosely woven fabric that has a large number of closely-spaced holes, frequently used for modern sports jerseys and other clothing.
Uses of meshes
- Meshes are often used to screen out unwanted things, such as insects. Wire screens on windows and mosquito netting can be considered as types of meshes.
- Wire screens can be used to shield against radio frequency radiation, e.g. in microwave ovens and Faraday cages.
- On a larger scale, in terms of the spaces in between, chicken wire and chain-link fences can also be considered a type of mesh.
- Metal and nylon wire mesh filters are used in water filtration, and making of beverages such as coffee.
- Wire mesh is used in guarding for secure areas and as protection in the form of vandal screens.
- Wire mesh can be fabricated to produce park benches, waste baskets and other baskets for material handling.
- Wire mesh is the separation medium in vibratory screening units.
- Mesh is also used as pockets for Lacrosse sticks.
- A huge quantity of mesh is being used for Screen printing work.There various kind of mesh count is used for different printing.