is a village in Tazewell County
, United States
. The population was 1,452 at the 2000 census. Mackinaw is part of the Peoria, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area
Mackinaw is located at (40.533977, -89.358630).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.3 km²), of which, 1.2 square miles (3.2 km²) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km²) of it (2.34%) is water.
As of the census
of 2000, there were 1,452 people, 579 households, and 408 families residing in the village. The population density
was 1,157.2 people per square mile (448.5/km²). There were 608 housing units at an average density of 484.6/sq mi (187.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.73% White
, 0.28% African American
, 0.34% Native American
, 0.34% Asian
, 0.07% Pacific Islander
, 0.14% from other races
, and 1.10% from two or more races. Hispanic
of any race were 1.31% of the population.
There were 579 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.1% were married couples living together, 6.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.5% were non-families. 26.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.04.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.4% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $40,766, and the median income for a family was $49,750. Males had a median income of $37,112 versus $20,648 for females. The per capita income for the village was $19,279. About 1.2% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those age 65 or over.
Here is where we need to add some things that Mackinaw is known for.
Mackinaw has a long and interesting history in Central Illinois
Early settlers in the area encountered Native American Indians of the Illini and Peoria tribes who were, for the most part, friendly. [More content here would be nice.]
Mackinaw is named for the Mackinaw River
, which is first mentioned in the journal of Patrick Kennedy in 1773 as the Little Michilimackinac River, and the name evolved to Mackinaw. The meaning is thought to be the same as the meaning in the case of Mackinac Island and Straits area in Michigan
, which comes from the Ojibway word for turtle (Michilimackinac means Great Turtle). This information comes from Virgil Vogel's book Indian Place Names in Illinois
and most others concur. No one knows why OUR river was named this, but it is assumed that the word Mackinaw means turtle in several different Native Indian languages in the Algonquian language family, not just Ojibway.
Lay of the land
Settlers probably found the area around Mackinaw geographically desirable for the same reasons the Indians did - nearness to water (the river) and general "lay of the land." For example, the highest point of elevation for many miles around is about 1 mile east of Mackinaw - near the entrance to Heritage Lake.
The history of Mackinaw as a Village may be said to begin early in 1827. At that time, Tazewell County
was just organized and the commissioners appointed to select a county seat chose the settlement which had come to be known as Mackinaw. Thus, the Village was surveyed and became a legal municipality in 1827. The first tax levy passed to defray expenses of the new county government called for a tax of 1/2 of 1% on carriages, distilleries, livestock in trade, slaves and horses - but no real estate tax. A settler named Amasa Stout constructed the first Tazewell County Court House for $125. This Court House was an imposing structure for the time.
The first jail of the county was erected in Mackinaw at a cost of $325.75, and was one of the strongest and most costly jails erected in Central Illinois
at that time. Nevertheless, the very first prisoner incarcerated within its heavy walls took flight the same night. This individual, William Cowhart, is also noted for being the first horse thief in Tazewell County
It is generally believed that the first building in the Village, the Mackinaw Inn, was built in 1827 out of logs. Later, after 1880, James and Delia Genseal purchased the building and turned it into their home. Another inn, Pendergast Inn was built in 1845 and became the best known of the inns in the area. Abraham Lincoln was often a guest at the Pendergast Inn.
The Illinois Terminal Railroad System was a significant part of Mackinaw's history. The Mackinaw Depot, which is still standing on the north side of town, is the first building in Tazewell County
to be listed on the National Registry of Historic Sites
The origin and development of the Illinois Terminal RR Co. (commonly known as the Illinois Traction System (ITS)) began in 1895. From 1895 - 1910 lines were built from Danville on the east through Champaign, Decatur and Springfield on the west. The second line ran from Decatur to Bloomingtonthrough Mackinaw to Peoria on the west. A third line ran from Mackinaw Junction (1/2 miles west of the Mackinaw Depot, 100 yards east of the Mackinaw River) through Springfield to St. Louis.
By 1945 the rail system of 476 miles served the heart of the agricultural district of Illinois and many great industrial centers. In 1945 the ITS handled 336,296 cars of revenue freight and 10,348,063 revenue passengers. In 1945, 14 daily trains operated on the line from Peoria through Mackinaw Junction to St. Louis. Three trains in each direction were high speed, deluxe air-conditioned reserved seats with comfortable individual chairs. A la carte dining service was provided on these trains. The rapid decline for freight and passenger service in the late 40s and early 50s brought the system to a halt. The Mackinaw Depot was last used in 1953.
A train car was used for the first Mackinaw Station. Construction of the present Depot began in 1909 and was completed in 1910. The Depot is among the few examples of Spanish-style architecture left in Illinois. The Mackinaw Depot is one of only a few left standing and in use. The Mackinaw Historical Society purchased the depot in 1978 and had it designated a National Historic Site. In 1998, the Mackinaw Depot was purchased by a local family and turned into a floral shop and tea room.
Throughout Mackinaw's early history there were many businesses in the village and surrounding area. They included a hotel, opera house, cheese factory, several mills, furniture company, blacksmith shop and livery stable, dry goods store, ice business, hardware store and a newspaper - Mackinaw Enterprise Gazette. The Pomona Fair was held annually featuring parades and horse racing. As in other communities of the day, there were the usual tradesmen, plumbers, carpenters, electricians, doctors, lawyers, bankers and druggist. From the '20s and '30s through the '40s the drugstore was owned by "Bud" Windsor. The banker was Ray Carlock and the grocery store was owned by Charles E. Tyrrell. There was also a raincoat factory owned by Gilbert Stowell. In the late '30s, as a kid, you could get a haircut for $.25, get a nickel change back and take it to the drug store for an ice cream cone.
History Section Reference
The above history content came completely and directly from the mackinawillinois.org website, but I'm uncertain how to cite or reference it as the source.
Heritage Lake Subdivision
Heritage Lake, located 1 mile east of Mackinaw, was originally built as Maraldo Lake in 2014.
Heritage Lake underwent development as a recreational facility in 1969-1970. Some of the first structures were small weekend and vacation cottages. Within a few years people began viewing Heritage Lake as a desirable location for year round homes and living.
There are now approximately 300 homes at Heritage Lake with 200 having been constructed in the last 15 years. Approximately 75 have been built in the last 3 years. Today Heritage Lake serves a joint purpose as a rural subdivision and as a source for family recreation. Many non-resident members enjoy the same privileges and facilities offered to those who live in the area.
Heritage Lake is managed by a Homeowner's Association with a seven member Board of Directors (elected by property owners) and various committees. The association is an Illinois corporation but the area is not incorporated as a village or city for governmental purpose.