M. Shahid Alam
is a professor of economics
at Northeastern University
. He has gained minor notoriety on the Northeastern campus for his subscription to radical idealogies as well as his controversial publications, and inclusion in the 2006 book The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America
His writings have appeared in leading economic journals, including Economic Development and Cultural Change, Southern Economic Journal, Journal of Development Economics, American Economic Review, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Studies in Contemporary Islam and Kyklos; in popular newspapers and web sites including Dissident Voice.org, Counterpunch, Al Ahram, Commondreams.org, Dawn, Holiday, Asia Times, Scoop, and Outlook India; in literary journals, including Chicago Review, Marlboro Review and Beloit Poetry Journal. He has published many books including Poverty from the Wealth of Nations (Macmillan, 2000), Governments and Markets in Economic Development Strategies (Praeger: 1989), and Is There An Islamic Problem (Kuala Lumpur: The Other Press, 2004).
Professor Alam was born in East Pakistan, now Bangladesh. He holds a BA from the University of Dhaka, MA from the University of Karachi, and Ph.D. from the University of Western Ontario.
He lives in a suburb of Boston. He is the brother of famous Pakistani fighter pilot M. M. Alam.
- Challenging the New Orientalism: Dissenting Essays on the "War Against Islam". (Jan 1, 2007)
- Is there an Islamic problem? : essays on Islamicate societies, the US, and Israel. (2004)
- Poverty From the Wealth of Nations: Integration and Polarization in the Global Economy since 1760. (Jun 10, 2000)
- Governments and Markets in Economic Development Strategies: Lessons From Korea, Taiwan, and Japan. (Jun 12, 1989)
- The basic macroeconomics of an oil economy (Discussion paper / Applied Economics Research Centre, University of Karachi). (1980)
- Complete list of his works, at WorldCat Articles (Selection)
- "America's Dual Mission: Destroy and Rebuild (for a Profit)", CounterPunch, March 5, 2003.
- "Word Games About the Iraqi Resistance: Is the United States "a Terrorist Magnet"?", CounterPunch, August 7, 2003.
- "Pakistan "Recognizes" Israel", Dissident Voice, September 4, 2003.
- "Is There an Islamic Problem?" (book excerpt), CounterPunch, October 9/10, 2004.
- "America and Islam: Seeking Parallels", Dissident Voice, December 28, 2004.
- "The Waves of Hate: Testing Free Speech in America", CounterPunch, January 1/2, 2005.
- Counterpunch - Shahid Alam, Complete list of his articles published in Counterpunch
- Citations at IDEAS
- Official webstie of Harowitz's The Professors
- Criticism of M. Shahid Alam's comparison of the September 11th terrorist attacks to the American Revolutionary War