is a surname. As a German surname it is derived from a Germanic personal name compounded from the words liut
, "people", and heri
, "army". As a rare English surname, it means "lute player" (Hanks and Hodges 1988). Luther has also been regularly used as a given name in English speaking countries in modern times, originally in honor of Martin Luther
Famous persons with the surname Luther
Famous persons with the given name Luther
- Luther Blissett (footballer), English footballer
- Luther Blissett (nom de plume), nom de plume for several artists and writers
- Luther Burbank, botanist
- Luther Goldman, American naturalist and wildlife photographer
- Luther Grosvenor, British rock musician
- Luther Head, NBA basketball player
- Martin Luther King Jr., a key leader of the American civil rights movement in the 1960s
- Luther Reign (Matt Wiese), American professional wrestler
- Luther Vandross, African-American R&B singer
- Luther Wright, NBA basketball player
Places and institutions
- Luther, Iowa, a town in the United States
- Luther College (Iowa), Lutheran college in Decorah, Iowa, United States
- Luther College (Victoria), Lutheran college in Victoria, Australia
- Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
- The Luther (Saskatoon), a seniors residence in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hanks, P. & Hodges, F. (1988). A dictionary of surnames.
New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-211592-8.
Alternatively, try searching for Luther in other articles.