Long Eaton is a town in Derbyshire, England. It lies just north of the River Trent about 7 miles southwest of Nottingham and is part of the Nottingham Urban Area. It started as a settlement, Aitone, in the Domesday Book, close to the lowest bridging point of the River Erewash. The town grew around the lace-making and railway wagon industries in the nineteenth century. Long Eaton railway station is on the Midland Main Line and the Erewash Canal passes through the town. Since 1974, Long Eaton is part of the Borough of Erewash.
Long Eaton borders Nottinghamshire but is in Derbyshire – even though most of its residences have a Nottingham address with the Nottingham postcode prefix NG, and use the Nottingham telephone area code 0115. Despite this, Long Eaton has remained part of Derbyshire.
Long Eaton is in the administrative region of Erewash - part of Derbyshire County Council. Despite the town having a Nottingham postcode and telephone area code, it is under no control or jurisdiction of Nottingham. It has become a common misconception within the region, to believe that Long Eaton is part of Nottingham. The reason for the NG prefix in the postal code is that all mail for Long Eaton first goes to the Royal Mail's Nottingham sorting office in Beeston (hence the NG), and then to Long Eaton's delivery office on Tamworth Road. The Local Government Commission for England (1958 - 1967) recommended that Long Eaton became part of an enlarged Nottingham Council. This was not the only time Long Eaton's status in Derbyshire was threatened as the original draft of the Local Government Act 1972 had considered moving Long Eaton into Nottinghamshire. This issue has been long running. The Redcliffe-Maud Report proposals of 1969 recommended the town be moved into Nottinghamshire but the incoming Conservative administration rejected the proposal.
A notable building in the town is the Palladian Long Eaton Hall. Another notable building is the Parish Church of St. Laurence. Local tradition dates the church to the 11th century, possibly built under King Cnut. However, it is more likely that it dates to after the Norman Conquest, possibly into the 12th century. It was originally a daughter church of All Saints, Sawley, but gained its independence in the 19th century. Nowadays the church is overlooked by a large Tesco Extra store, but originally it would have been surrounded by small cottages.
Long Eaton has two state secondary schools, Wilsthorpe Business and Enterprise College and The Long Eaton School as well as several primary schools. It is also home to the public school Trent College. Part of the Long Eaton school (which operated for years 7, 8 and 9) was demolished in 2006, after a new school was built next door, on the same grounds. Both upper and lower sections of the school are now in one building. Previously, the sections were separated by the Erewash Canal. In 2005 Wilsthorpe School gained specialist status in business and enterprise. The Long Eaton School has also gained specialist status in science and has received the permanent eco-flag. The Long Eaton School was recently rebuilt , and was opened by Gordon Brown when he was Chancellor.
Long Eaton also has a successful Brass Band, the Long Eaton Silver Prize Band, which is one of only two brass bands still functioning in Erewash. The band was formed in 1906 as a result of severance from the local Temperance Society. At the height of its success, it reached the Brass Band Second Section. The band still rehearses in the Long Eaton Silver Prize Band Club on Salisbury Street in Long Eaton.
In recent times, the band has regained some of its former glories under its current Musical Director, Sharon Stansfield. In 2006, the band's centenary year, the band won the Midland Area Regional Championships, the band's first contest win since 1966. This secured them promotion back to the Second Section, and an invitation to the National Championships of Great Britain. The band also won this contest, providing their best contest result since 1927, and also making Sharon Stansfield the first female conductor to win the National Finals in the Third Section.
Speedway racing was staged at the Long Eaton Stadium on Station Road, the first meeting was held on 18 May 1929 However, the Speedway stadium closed in 1997. The former area of the speedway stadium has now received planning permission from the council for a series of new homes.
The town also has a Rugby club Long Eaton RUFC