is a Japanese manga series created by Peach-Pit; Banri Sendo and Shibuko Ebara. It is published by Enix and is serialized in the Japanese shōnen manga magazine GFantasy. The series is licensed in the United States by Yen Press.
An anime adaptation produced by XEVEC M2 was announced and started broadcast on the Japanese network TV Asahi on July 3 2007. It contained a total of eleven episodes, with the final broadcast on September 11 2007. Subsequent episodes, 12 and 13, will be released as part of the seventh volume of the DVD release in April 2008, but no official word for television broadcast has been made.
Michiru Kita is a special girl who possesses Shinigami Eyes
, a power which allows her to see a person's nearness to their destined death by seeing a ring, invisible to normal people, around the person's neck. When a person is marked to die, a gray ring appears, which darkens over time. Once the ring turns completely black, the person dies (whether by natural causes or an accident). Chika Akatsuki and Shito Tachibana, two boys in her class, both have black rings around their necks, but to her surprise, they are not yet dead. It is revealed that after a tragic accident that was supposed to kill them both, the two boys made a deal with a secret loan office called the Zombie-Loan. In return for keeping them alive, the two have to hunt zombies for the loan office. When Michiru gets involved with them, she finds that her life has just become more complicated.
- Michiru possesses Shinigami Eyes, which allows her to see a ring on a person's neck, indicating their impending death. However, she has hated her gift ever since she saw dark rings around her parents' necks, who died in an accident after the rings turned jet black. She now wears glasses that can subdue her gift, allowing her to live her life normally. Although, since the death of her parents, she has felt a numb complacency with life, living it out, but having no will to achieve anything or even care if she dies or not, an attitude which disgusts Shito.
- Michiru first meets Chika and Shito in the hallways of her school, accidentally tripping over Chika's hand. After she ends up finding out their secret, they initially think of killing her, but when they find out that she has Shinigami Eyes, they instead inform her that she will be using her powers to help them fight zombies, despite her protests. After various failures and meeting other members of the Z-Loan office, Michiru comes to accept her new job, Largely because of the debt Shito and Chika took on to keep her from dying.
- She often takes the brunt of Chika's abuse and is initially called '500-yen' by him, due to the fact that he believes she owes him ¥500. He later begins to call her a "gopher" since she often does what other people ask of her without question.
- Chika is referred to as "Boy B" or simply "B" ("B-san"), titles which greatly irritates him, after surviving an accident with Shito, known as "Boy-A", six months prior to the start of the series. His attitude is rather lively, but he is also short-tempered; he is often seen beating Michiru for her various failures. He begins to have feelings for Michiru.
- Chika and Shito switch right hands, due to the fact that when they were revived, their right hands were attached to the other one. With Shito's right hand, which is actually Chika's original right hand, Chika has the ability to generate a katana possessing Shinigami abilities. With the katana, Chika is able to perform spiritual memorials for zombies they defeat. Though often seen with a short temper, Chika has a genuine care for those he defeats and often performs their memorial with great sympathy. Though they have free will and emotions, both Chika and Shito are still considered zombies, so their ultimate goal is to regain their lives once again.
- Shito is referred to as "Boy A" or simply "A" ("A-san") by most students in his school. Due to his looks and attitude, he is seen as an idol by the female students, though he seems to not care. He is generally a much more approachable person than Chika, but certain situations and people cause him to act cold and indifferent; when Michiru first told him that she had no real will to live, he told her how disgusted that made him feel, going on to say that he believes she does not deserve the right to live, but begins to warm up to her and grows feelings for her.
- Shito is linked with Chika by a spiritual chain. When he attaches Chika's right hand, or rather his own original right hand, he can generate a 9½ inch Ruger Super Redhawk revolver, which has the power to harm zombies with its spiritual bullets using his own ectoplasm. Unlike Chika, Shito's life was not lost in the accident, and he has a different type of contract than Chika. Chika and Shito are always together due to the fact that their hands will rot if they are not within a certain distance of each other. Although Shito claims to not be able to stand Chika, he sometimes treats him as a friend or comrade.
The Zombie-Loan manga created by the Peach-Pit duo, Banri Sendo and Shibuko Ebara, was first published in May 2003. It is published by Enix and is serialized in the Japanese shōnen manga magazine GFantasy. Currently, a total of ten volumes have been published. The manga is currently being released in North America by Yen Press.
An anime adaptation produced by XEBEC M2
was announced and started broadcast on the Japanese network TV Asahi
on July 3 2007
anime series first aired on TV Asahi
on July 3 2007
, airing Tuesdays at 13:40 in Japan. The anime series is currently unlicensed in America. A total of 11 episodes aired with the final episode airing on September 11 2007
. Subsequent episodes, 12 and 13, were released on the seventh Region 2 DVD, but no official word for television broadcast has been made.
- Performance and lyrics: The Birthday
- Composition: Ending theme
- Performance and lyrics: Mucc