The Little Magazine Movement
is a literary movement of Literary magazines
also known as Little magazines
. It originated in the fifties and the sixties in many Indian languages
, as it did in the west, in the early part of the 19th century .
In Bengali literature, it started with Kallol, a modernist movement magazine, established in 1923. The most popular among the group were Kazi Nazrul Islam (1899 - 1976) and Mohitlal Majumder (1888-1952), Achintyakumar Sengupta (1903-1976), Satyendranath Dutta (1882-1922), Premendra Mitra (1904 - 1988) and others. Then Bengali poetry got into the brightest light of modernism in 1930s, through the movement of few other little magazines, such as Buddhadeb Bosu's Kabita and Sudhindranath Datta's Parichay.
The Little Magazine explosion in West Bengal took place after 1961 when the Hungry generation Movement took the cultural establishment by storm. In fact it changed not only the publication gamut but also the naming of a magazine.
The Sahitya Akademi (Indian Academy of Letters) also publishes two literary journals, namely Indian Literature (journal) in English and Samkalin Bhartiya Sahitya in Hindi
A prime example of this continuing tradition is the The Little Magazine, published from New Delhi since May 2000 , Civil Lines and Yatra
There is a Little Magazine Library and Research Centre at Tamer Lane, Kolkata, India which collects Bengali little magazines published from anywhere in the world. .
Literary or little magazines in India
- Abhiyakti - Hindi literary magazine Online.
- Aanubhuti - Monthly Hindi poetry and literary magazine
- Bharat Darshan - Hindi literary magazine
- Crimson Feet Magazine - Bimonthly journal for writers and poets from the Indian sub-continent .
- Civil Lines - English literary magazine
- Darpan - Literary Magazine.
- Guruchandali - Bengali e-zine
- HindiElm - Quarterly Hindi literary magazine
- Haowa 49 - Quarterly Bengali Magazine of changing poetry and literary theories.
- Kahani - A South Asian literary magazine for children.
- Maadhukari - Online Bengali literary magazine
- Meghadutam - Online magazine on literature and poetry
- Parabaas - a Bengali literary e-zine
- Patrika - Online Bengali literary magazine
- Punjabielm - Quarterly Punjabi literary magazine
- Purwai - London based quarterly magazine on Indian languages
- Sambit - Oriya literary magazine
- The Brown Critique - Literary quarterly for Indian writings in English.
- The Little Magazine - English literary magazine
- Udgam - a literary Hindi magazine .
- UrduElm - Quarterly literary magazine
- Utsab - Bengali literary magazine
- Yugantar Punjab - online Punjabi literary magazine.
- Kledaja kusum - Quarterly Bengali poetry magazine.