The first records about the population of the island come from the Middle Age when the Saare-Lääne bishop founded a horse breeding manor there. Steady population originated on the island in the 18th century. The greatest population of the island - 150 people of all have lived there.
On the Limbi foreland so called lower metal-framed lighthouse is located. 36 m tall upper lighthouse, is built in 1931.
There is a botanical and zoological reserve on the island with an area of 92 ha. Its grove-broadleaf forest is very gross as to its West-East axis. In 1878-1880 a "deer park" was founded on the island, when 13 deer were brought from Kuramaa. There are deer on the island even today.
On the cemetery of the island there is a memorial cross dedicated to those who perished in the "M/S Estonia" shipwreck in 1994.
The building of the local centre of the island was built in 1960s and is used now as a recreation house. There's also a camping spot with fire place and playground for ball-games.
Abruka can be reached by boat from Roomassaare harbour.