"Chee Chee-Oo Chee (Sang the Little Bird)
" is a popular song
with music by Saverio Seracini (some sources give his first name as "Severio" but "Saverio" seems the consensus spelling), the original Italian language
lyrics by Ettore Minoretti, and English
lyrics by John Turner
and Geoffrey Claremont Parsons
, published in 1955
A number of recorded versions were made in 1955, but the Perry Como/Jaye P. Morgan version was the biggest hit. The Como/Morgan recording (with Mitchell Ayres' orchestra), made on April 28, 1955, was released by RCA Victor Records as 78rpm catalog number 20-6137 and 45rpm catalog number 47-6137, with the flip side "Two Lost Souls." It reached #12 on the song charts in the United States.
The song has also been recorded by several other artists.
- Petula Clark (released by Polygon Records as catalog number P1164, with the flip side "Romance in Rome)
- Alma Cogan (released by HMV Records as catalog numbers 7M 293 in the United Kingdom, and 7MO 4248 in Australia, both with the flip side "Tika Tika Tok"
- Perry Como/Jaye P. Morgan (see above)
- Jill Day (released 1955 by Parlophone Records as catalog numbers MSP6169 (78 RPM) and R4021 (45 RPM), both with the flip side "Sincerely"
- The Gaylords (released by Mercury Records in the United States as catalog number 70630, with the flip side "Who's Got the Pain? and in Australia as catalog number A-1231, with the flip side "Honey Baby")
- The Kingtones with Jacques Lerot and his Band (released June 1955 by Embassy Records as catalog number WB133, with the flip side "Unchained Melody
- Joe Loss and his Orchestra (released February, 1956 by HMV Records in the United Kingdom and as catalog number EA-4261 in Australia, with the flip side "Donkey Serenade"
- The Mariners (released by Columbia Records as catalog number 40514, with the flip side "A Rusty Old Halo)
- Dean Martin (released by Capitol Records in 1955 in the United States as catalog number 3133 and in the United Kingdom as catalog number CL-14311, both with the flip side "Ridin' Into Love", and in Australia as catalog number CP-427, with the flip side "Under the Bridges of Paris)